Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-22-2013, 10:35 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Freak

Many many Moons ago, when I was just a mere lad of 7... a family friend won a bunch of goldies at a carnival. He gave all the kids in the neighborhood a pair each, in a nice flat shaped 2 gallon bowl. Well as time went by and Goldies being goldies the bowl got dirty. My mom told me I needed to clean that bowl and change water, so being 7, and never having fish to care for before. (Knew how to catch and clean them) I only knew what I saw, Mom clean the dishes in the sink. So with a sudsy sink and dishcloth in hand I proceeded to scrub that smelly bowl with a will. Then I refilled it with clean water, and returned my friends back in...... and they promptly expired! Who knew? Dishsoap is a poison to fish! Well that inspired me to read and find out how to keep fish.

Old 03-22-2013, 11:07 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have only been keeping fish myself since August but my dad kept fish when I was little.(I was 4) We had a goldfish in a bowl that was on the kitchen counter and I thought he was thirsty so I poured him a glass of milk and poured it in. Needless to say he had a milky death.

^Too bad my parents dont think that.
misterpenguin4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:01 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I turned off my return pump and a back siphon started. I panicked and couldn't figure out how to stop the sump from overflowing. Spilled about 25 gallons on the floor. ooof.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:19 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Activist

My dad kept fish when he was little. This wasn't all his mistake but he got his first fish from the YMCA. They had an event where the got about 100 feeder goldfish and dumped them all in the pool. All the boys swam to catch the goldfish and that's how my dad got started. Needless to say the poor fish didn't live long...
2.5 gallon RCS tank
DragonGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:26 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

My tank is in the basement, and I was going to camp over the weekend a couple weeks ago. I did a PWC right before I left. After I got back I fed the fish, and when I put my fingers in the water to get the food to sink, the water was really cold!! Well, I had forgotten to turn the heater back on. The water got down to 60 degrees, maybe less. Thank god all of my fish were okay, even my rams!!

3, 20, 25, 33 Gallon FW Tanks.....For Now

Scottyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:05 PM   #26
SKB
Aquarium Advice FINatic

well when I was younger maybe 12-14, me and my two other sisters would win the fair goldfish all the time. We had a 15 gallon fish tank with an in-tank filter and bubbler....and 5 goldfish. We would clean the tank and filter 100% every 2-4 weeks.

When I said we would win fair fish, all the time, it was because obviously these fish didn't last long, and we figured it was just because they were fair fish and were sick anyway. We did actually have some live a couple years. But mostly, they would last a 2-3 months or less. Wow.

Then when I was older....like the beginning of last year (23) I found my first beautiful African Cichlid at wally world. Brought it home and put it in my 2.5 gallon......... Realized it was rolling around and like "itching" at first I was like ha I found a clown fish, he should be in a circus. But one day I got curious and looked it up on google. Which brought me where I am today!
Old 03-22-2013, 05:12 PM   #27
SKB
Aquarium Advice FINatic

oh and I didn't mention this was with tap water.

But I still have the African Cichlid that lived in that 2.5 gallon for 3 months, but now he is in a group of 5 in a 45 gallon conditioned tank! lol
Old 03-22-2013, 05:57 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I bought 2 Betta fish, one for my hubby, when a neighbor was bugging us from our front yard all the time as a inner sanctuary to enjoy. Sadly I was misinformed and put them each in an unheated vase with not a single accessory except an Anubia.

They came from a cup at a well known store and sure enough both were struggling within a week. We lost his fish Harris (RIP dude) and I immediately looked into Betta care and set up a large Rubbermaid hospital tank for the other guy, Marshall.

He survived intestinal parasite treatment and is having a birthday soon! He lives with a school of neons in a planted 29 gallon, and I have 2 other SW tanks started, and a pea puffer tank in my hubby's office.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:59 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Oh yeah last week I burned a towel on the floor, so glad it wasn't our carpet!! Sorry man those heaters burn almost instantly! I also melted the suction cups on a tiny heater when I drained the tank and left it on by accident.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:18 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

15 years ago I was purifying tap water from the kitchen faucet through a single DI membrane into 5 gal water bottles for a water change on a 125 predator/community tank when I guess I had one too many beers and after having changed out 15-20 gal of water realized I mixed up the pile of hose and wasn't actually running water through the filter at all, it was going directly from the tap to the containers s into the tank:P. next day had about 5 dead fish including my purple tang, clown trigger, and emperor angel. Haven't added non RODI water since!

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com