Just For Fun: The Dumbest Mistake You Ever Made With A Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I always get distracted at work when doing PWCs, and I literally can't remember the last time I did changes on the tanks and DIDN'T overflow at least once. Honestly you'd think I would learn lol.

Biggest mistake, though- putting a 5" red devil in my "semi-aggressive" tank (angels and barbs mostly)- that beast massacred everything in the tank, then jumped out. Easily 20 floating fish in the tank the next morning... Not a good choice. :(

I've had some spills, but never let it overflow. Seems like the only time things don't work right for me is when I don't put down towels.

Ok, I thought of another one!
I got a tank off CL that came with lights and a canister filter and stuff. A lot of the equipment was fairly new and still have the packages and instructions and whatnot. Well. the canister did not. I had to google how to set it up. When I started it, it wouldn't pump water, so I looked online for help and I was told to suck on the outflow tube and pull water into the canister to get started. There are little flow control switches, so that seemed like no big deal. Well, The filter was underneath the stand already so I had to kind get down under the stand too and I couldn't see super well, because it is dark under a fish tank stand. I chose the in-take tube, and I got a mouth FULL of water as well as spraying it all over torso and face and the floor around me. It was not my proudest moment. Lol.

Every bit of it is true I don't know what made her think it was a good idea but I swear on all my fishes that that story is true :'(

I did something equally stupid with the class hamster during a sleepover in first or second grade... My family was taking the hamster for the weekend by random draw and us girls decided that he was smelly and should be bathed.

We got caught late at night running a warm bath, my poor grandma tried to dry him off but I believe he perished. Nooooo!! I'm so sorry smelly Hamster!

Here is my story. When my oldest son was 6 (he is now 18 so this was awhile ago) he wanted fish for Christmas. So off I go on Christmas Eve to a store. I buy a 10 gallon starter plus 4 or 5 fish. *sigh*. I go home to start setting this baby up. Add water, fish, and the chemical packs at the same time. Tank, of course, goes a milky color with fish swimming in the fog. All the fish but one die, so I return the dead fish after Christmas and get replacements. Those die also, but the one fancy goldfish still lives on. This time I just leave it as the lone fish and get my money back on the others. That one fish never liked anyone else in her tank either. Every time we added fish, they died. (I swear she did bullied them to death.). She lived alone in the tank for many years happily with a pleco (the only thing she did like). The pleco moved to a 20 and then to our current 46 gallon. Before i got the 20 , i also got Aquariums for Dummies and read all about my new hobby. Setting up the 20 was so much easier, lol.

Adjusting a power head and temporarily forgetting that it's basically a mini water cannon when lifted above the water line... x_x

this didnt happen to me, and I'm glad of that! A friend of mine had a 75 gal tank and was in the process of moving to a new house. He drained the tank and housed the fish at a friends and moved the tank to the garage at the new house. Well as he was busy moving, and was putting things all over the new place, he forgot the tank in the garage. It got night time and he was still moving last minute things and had a load for the garage. Well it being a new house, he wasn't familiar with the layout and the light switches and stumbled into the garage.. and forgetting he had set his 75 gal tank there, intending to bring it inside soon. Needless to say he was reminded as he crashed through it and the broken glass put a nice big cut in his leg! He ended up with multiple surgeries and alot of rehab from that incident! And it took him along time to save up for a new tank....he got a 125!

OMG! That's terrible! That could've been a lot worse. A 75g tank is a lot of glass. A persuasive argument for acrylic!

There are 2 fish stores really close to my house. One is awesome. Great people who know what they are talking about and can and do give you great advice, and one where they tell you you can keep goldfish or a betta in a tiny little bowl, and that fish won't outgrow their aquarium, and where some people who work there don't even know you need air in the bag when you take your fish home. Seriously. I went to get some guppies there and the girl I talked to couldn't tell the difference between a male and a female guppy, which I can understand fine, but she didn't even put any air into the bag! Anyway, when I was younger, I went to a party where the "loot bag" was a goldfish. Pretty cool huh? I didn't know much about fish at all, but I did like them, and I was excited! It was a little goldfish in a bowl. It was a tiny bowl, so I bought it a bigger one (still less than a gallon.) while I was at the fish store, I thought I would get a couple more fish.

Okay. Before I go on, in my defense, I was a kid who didn't know that a fish should have a filter and a real tank. I also didn't know goldfish were so dirty. AND I was in a fish store where the people who worked there either didn't know either, or were happy as long as they were selling me their fish.

Anyway, I asked the girl there, and she said that goldfish and bettas are fine in a little bowl with no filter or heater. (I know goldfish are fine without a heater, but a betta should have one) So I ended up with 6 poor little goldfish in a tiny bowl. Needless to say, they didn't survive for a very long time. They all died within a month. :( I didn't know what was wrong until later, when I got my betta. He lived a couple of years, but he was in that same little bowl. So yeah. Now I know not to have fish in a bowl with no filter. And certainly not that many!

i put feeder goldfish in the tank with my tropical fish and they all got ick and died! except for the goldfish!

African Cichlids in a 29 gal community tank, and they are still there!! My fiance won't let me take them back (I bought the tank for him), grrr! Also, he vaccummed the tank for the first time last night (I usually do it). When I went to replace the filter media, I noticed a danio was missing. He sucked up the darn fish and flushed it with the waste water! RIP little danio.

There are 2 fish stores really close to my house. One is awesome. Great people who know what they are talking about and can and do give you great advice, and one where they tell you you can keep goldfish or a betta in a tiny little bowl, and that fish won't outgrow their aquarium, and where some people who work there don't even know you need air in the bag when you take your fish home. Seriously. I went to get some guppies there and the girl I talked to couldn't tell the difference between a male and a female guppy, which I can understand fine, but she didn't even put any air into the bag! Anyway, when I was younger, I went to a party where the "loot bag" was a goldfish. Pretty cool huh? I didn't know much about fish at all, but I did like them, and I was excited! It was a little goldfish in a bowl. It was a tiny bowl, so I bought it a bigger one (still less than a gallon.) while I was at the fish store, I thought I would get a couple more fish.

Okay. Before I go on, in my defense, I was a kid who didn't know that a fish should have a filter and a real tank. I also didn't know goldfish were so dirty. AND I was in a fish store where the people who worked there either didn't know either, or were happy as long as they were selling me their fish.

Anyway, I asked the girl there, and she said that goldfish and bettas are fine in a little bowl with no filter or heater. (I know goldfish are fine without a heater, but a betta should have one) So I ended up with 6 poor little goldfish in a tiny bowl. Needless to say, they didn't survive for a very long time. They all died within a month. :( I didn't know what was wrong until later, when I got my betta. He lived a couple of years, but he was in that same little bowl. So yeah. Now I know not to have fish in a bowl with no filter. And certainly not that many!

I know how u feel about that other fish store I made the mistake with my first tank of putting 4 mbunas and 4 peacocks 1 Victorian 1 hap 2 clown loaches and a baby albino bristlenose in a 20 I was given extremely bad advice by there cichlid "expert" worst thing is my ex best friend has had 4 cichlid tanks and didn't say a word. Soon after I found this site I went and got a 55 but not before I lost my 2 favorate fish 1 other and the bristlenose got eaten but I still have the remainder 7 cichlids and the 2 clown loaches in the 55 and there all full color and extremely happy. I know the loaches need a 75+ but I just can't bear to part with them. I do have some of the cichlids for sale on here thouh. And :thanks: to everyone on here who has given me much better advice.

And now, for my dumb mistake. My wife has a betta that has survived major challenges. We originally put it in our community setup based on the LFS suggestion, but he got beat up. Then moved him to a small betta "cup" to see if he'd make it. Once he started getting stronger, we put him in a bowl, but I didn't like that-no filtration. So, finally got a 2 gallon fluval desktop setup for him. Got it all set up and ready to go. I was excited to get him into his own "real" aquarium, but now he looks terrible. I racked my brain to figure out what happened. Finally realized I used pure RO water on accident! Moved him from 7.6 pH water right into 6.2 pH water! Thought about getting him back into the other water once I realized it, but its been 24 hours... Going back would probably be worse than leaving him be. Now it's a waiting game. Epic fail. Hoping he's got one more big win in him...

And now, for my dumb mistake. My wife has a betta that has survived major challenges. We originally put it in our community setup based on the LFS suggestion, but he got beat up. Then moved him to a small betta "cup" to see if he'd make it. Once he started getting stronger, we put him in a bowl, but I didn't like that-no filtration. So, finally got a 2 gallon fluval desktop setup for him. Got it all set up and ready to go. I was excited to get him into his own "real" aquarium, but now he looks terrible. I racked my brain to figure out what happened. Finally realized I used pure RO water on accident! Moved him from 7.6 pH water right into 6.2 pH water! Thought about getting him back into the other water once I realized it, but its been 24 hours... Going back would probably be worse than leaving him be. Now it's a waiting game. Epic fail. Hoping he's got one more big win in him...

Just start doing pwc of 25-30% with normal water about every 2-4 days if he's looking alright, do the next a few days later. I would do one right away to start. Those guys are pretty tough.

I used a cracked bucket for a water change and didn't realize until I had probably 2 gallons of water on the floor. Unrelated to fish stuff, I also flooded the bathtub about a week ago on accident. Started filling it to clean it and forgot about it. I was just going to fill halfway and let it soak with clr to get some hard water stains off and I walked away and started fixing dinner. Went to use the bathroom later to discover water pouring into the hallway...

Back
Top Bottom