Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-23-2013, 08:52 PM   #61
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

A few...

maybe 9 or 10 yo and running around the school yard with jars of guppies, selling them for a few cents or giving them away, with a blue container of DeChlor in my hand telling kids to buy some, since we had a million guppies, I was trying to find them homes, so sad they probably all died in a couple days.

Going on vacation and leaving my fish tank in the care of a teenager (who had fish since small child and should have known better), and coming home from a 2 day, 1200 mile drive at almost midnight, exhausted, to find my tank with yellow opaque foul smelling water that was a little thinner, but almost the consistency of maple syrup. Then spending about three hours cleaning it. Only lost a some of the fish.

Going on vacation and leaving my tank in the care of my best friend, who had had fish since childhood, and dreamed of being a marine biologist, and had two 55G tanks of her own AND was going through a bad divorce...coming home to about 2 tablespoons of flaked food floating around on the bottom of my 16 G tank with very white Supernaturals sand, and several dead fish and a bamboo shrimp.

Buying 20 berried ghost shrimp, and putting them into a "cycled" tank, but I changed the filter pad every 6 weeks, and overstocked tank. They must have all given birth at the same time and the babies died causing an ammonia spike and a bacterial bloom and the water sparkled like superfine glitter in a completely opaque tank and couldn't see the fish.

Where I changed the filter pad every few days and did Pwc every day or two and added several kinds of water conditioners and bacteria supplements, and overfed. No one at any of the pet stores knew what was happening and every store said to try something else. Finally after two weeks, I came to a store, and a new employee guy said let me get this guy he will know. I explain it all and he is looking at me with saucer eyes as I finish explaining it all and, I say what can I do. And he says......Nothing!!! Don't do anything else.

More or less, you have done too much already. He told me, although not quite all correctly, to just stop changing the filter pad and water and just wait it out for 21 days. (no water testing was recommended)

I know a lot more now that I am here! And it is surprising, some fish actually survived those events! And YIKES!!!

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -12G PRL Shrimp
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:53 PM   #62
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Alyxx Send a message via Skype™ to Alyxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by marsh View Post
Awesome! Just realized my bb rifle is only a few feet from my 55.

I'm secretly thrilled that I'm not alone in "wetting the floor" disasters. I recently did a late night WC on said 55 FOWLR and set the HOB skimmer to a seemingly good level and hit the hay.

8-9 hours later I wake up to loud bubbly sounding waterfall Noises from my living room, I get up and see 25% of my tank has drained behind the tank down the wall overflowing my skimmate cup and at least one koralia running high and dry!

I felt like I might not be cut out for this for a few mopey days.
I woke up one morning to the HOB filter on my 56 leaking, with a good quarter of the volume of the tank on the floor. I had no idea what was leaking at first and went into panic mode. Ran out to buy a garden hose to drain the tank completely, put all fish in buckets, and moved the whole thing so I could get the stand and the floor dry. It was only because the painted background had ran a little that I was able to pinpoint the leak to where my hob wasn't sitting quite level. Once the stand was dry again I put it all back together and got the fish back in, and was paranoid about that filter for weeks. This all happened only a couple weeks after getting the tank filled in the first place, so I was just sure that I had picked up a leaky tank on Craigslist.

Old 03-23-2013, 09:00 PM   #63
Aquarium Advice FINatic

About ten years ago I had 5 tinfoil barbs and red belly pacu in a 55 gallon. Funny thing is they were all healthy and lived in the tank with no problems for three years until I finally donated them. I did love those fish!
Old 03-23-2013, 10:47 PM   #64
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyxx View Post

I woke up one morning to the HOB filter on my 56 leaking, with a good quarter of the volume of the tank on the floor. I had no idea what was leaking at first and went into panic mode. Ran out to buy a garden hose to drain the tank completely, put all fish in buckets, and moved the whole thing so I could get the stand and the floor dry. It was only because the painted background had ran a little that I was able to pinpoint the leak to where my hob wasn't sitting quite level. Once the stand was dry again I put it all back together and got the fish back in, and was paranoid about that filter for weeks. This all happened only a couple weeks after getting the tank filled in the first place, so I was just sure that I had picked up a leaky tank on Craigslist.
Similar thing happen to me at 1:30 am. I awoke to dripping water on the dresser and noticed the water level was down 2 inches. I unplugged everything and rigged my wc bucket up under the filter. And the water had bubbled the paint on the wall behind the tank and drained down through the carpet and through the pad. It was a long weekend.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:34 PM   #65
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

When i was experiment with a homemade co2 diffuser, and i messed up the suction, water was spilling every where before i got it stopped.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:27 AM   #66

Bottom line is like what JLK said, and I can't stand it:

If you're dealing with a large volume of confined water and constantly doing maintenance on it, there's going to be water on your dang floor...just no way around it...

I just spilled a bit of Prime on my carpet today during a 50% water change from filling up the cap a bit too much...
Old 03-24-2013, 02:30 PM   #67
Aquarium Advice Activist

Oh just thought of one. Just last week I had my betta in a hospital bowl for his poor fins. I was doing a complete WC and decided that I'd try to match temperatures by turning the sink to warm. I thought it felt a little warm when I put it in the bowl so I figured it'd be ok if I just let it sit for 15 or 20 minutes. Never thought to check the temperature. When I was acclimating him I noticed he was very agitated but he usually is when I do water changes so I thought nothing of it. I poured him in and plopped the thermometer in it then got distracted for a few minutes.

When I came back my baby was at the surface lying on his side looking pretty much dead. I checked the thermometer and it was 103 degrees in there!!! I panicked and scooped him out and filled half of the cup with super cold water then dumped half the bowl out and did the same thing. I thought for sure I'd just killed my boy but he somehow pulled through it and is fine now, though I wouldn't be surprised if I shortened his life expectancy.

I'm now very careful about temperature matching when I do water changes especially on my littler tanks.
2.5 gallon RCS tank
DragonGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:27 PM   #68
Aquarium Advice Addict

Beneficial Bacteria

About 8yrs ago I had a 50g goldfish tank. I came home from work I day to find my two goldies floating in a milky white tank. Never found out for years what happened, until about a year ago. My daughter, who was 4 at the time, must have overheard me explain or bore my girlfriend about Beneficial Bacteria. We were encouraging her to drink probiotic yogurt drinks at the time. She thought the bacteria in the drinks would be good for my fish!!! Needless to say.....
She's 12 now and we can see the funny side of it!!!!!!!
Old 03-25-2013, 09:20 AM   #69
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Well i bought an oscar and put it in a bowl..then a 10 gal and bought a second then moved them to a 30 gal then a 55 then my current 75 then they died
Old 03-25-2013, 02:48 PM   #70
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Here is the dumbest mistake I've made by far, and it's so obvious, I didn't even think about it to post. My biggest mistake is assuming that because the best way to get normal plants to grow is to water them, that aquatic plants would need little or no care. After all, their engulfed in water, right?

Lesson learned. Aquarium plants have untold numbers of challenges. The fish are easy, all you have to do is keep the water changed and make sure your numbers are right. Really, with fish your taking care of the water more than you are the actual fish. With plants, you need to consider fertilizer, CO2, CO2 delivery (infusion (DIY or Hi-Tech), liquid, or both), lighting, and more.

Oh, and if you really screw something up focusing on your plants, it could also cost you some or all of your fish! Fortunately, that hasn't happened to me yet. I've been more willing to fail with the plants as I learn than to make an adjustment that I have doubts about and lose fish.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com