Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-27-2013, 12:12 AM   #71
Aquarium Advice Freak

I didn't make it but my sister did, I was probably 11 my sister was 14 and I won a goldfish from the fair so I had him in a small round bowl like how every kid use to have and one day I came walking down stairs and my sister was washing my gold fish with soap and water because he looked dirty ( it was the brownish goldfish) to this day I don't let her go near my tank and its been over 10 years

Old 03-27-2013, 07:00 PM   #72

No... there's no way this above story is true or real...

Old 03-27-2013, 07:08 PM   #73
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Alyxx Send a message via Skype™ to Alyxx
Just remembered a mistake my mom made when I was a kid.

My dad owned a Cajun restaurant when I was little, and we ordered in live crawfish. When they would come in and he would get them all rinsed off and ready to be purged, sometimes he would find cool looking ones and give them to me. I had blues, a white, some purples... Some absolute monsters and some that were tiny. Even found a baby red eared slider in the bags once. But anyway, I had each crawfish in its own bowl, and my mom and I would go get feeder goldfish to feed them. Well, at one point most of them had died off and I had one bowl with a big monster crawfish in it and one other bowl with a goldfish in it. Not a leftover feeder but a common goldfish that was a few inches long. Which is a mistake in itself. Anyway, while I was at school one day my mom decided she would reduce the amount of space the bowls were taking up by putting the two of them together. She thought the goldfish was big enough to avoid getting eaten. She was wrong. We came home that day to find the crawfish holding the goldfish in its claws like a sandwich and chowing down on it. Man, did my mom feel bad for getting my fish eaten. I still tease her about it.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:19 PM   #74
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

I've overflowed my far share I tanks. Recently I overflowed my 40g all over the carpeted lounge. Took many, many towels and weeks to dry out correctly. Then I overflowed my 70g that sits next to it.
Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:34 PM   #75

Don't even get me started about overflowing a tank or returning heavy buckets of water into it just to misjudge and have it splash against the hoods or covers, bouncing off the front glass, running down the front, all over the stand, onto the carpet....this occurs, still, almost routinely to me...

I'm ALWAYS laying towels down during my water changes as there ALWAYS seems to be some kind of moderate to heavy splashing that occurs, and it's always on our nice carpeted (new) surface in the upstairs loft the tank resides in...
Old 03-27-2013, 08:30 PM   #76
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My first fish tank. Had no clue what I was doing but trying to learn. What mistake does alot of newbies make. I listened to the LFS. I took a sample of my water in to have it tested. My natural PH is 8. I was told that ANY fish no matter what has to have a PH of 7. They sold me a $14 bottle of perfect Ph7.0 and told me to run that stuff in my tank at the recommended dose and it would bring my Ph down to 7 so I could have fish. I immediatly put this stuff in my tank and it immediatly started clouding up and did so to the point you could see nothing including the gravel in the tank.
AFTER my tank looked like it was litteraly running milk in it I read the bottle of crap I had put in my tank it was to balance a tank with PH LOWER than 7 and stated plainly not for use in hard water. Fortunatly I had no fish in the tank but it took me 2 days to get all the gunk out of my tank I had to replace tge brandnew rocks and filter media in my brand new tank. Boy I was hot. Now I read everything and do my own research or ask questions here most of the time both. And never ever ever listen to any one at the lfs!!
Old 03-27-2013, 08:55 PM   #77
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to DanTheGuppyMan Send a message via Yahoo to DanTheGuppyMan Send a message via Skype™ to DanTheGuppyMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtesiaWells View Post
Don't even get me started about overflowing a tank or returning heavy buckets of water into it just to misjudge and have it splash against the hoods or covers, bouncing off the front glass, running down the front, all over the stand, onto the carpet....this occurs, still, almost routinely to me...

I'm ALWAYS laying towels down during my water changes as there ALWAYS seems to be some kind of moderate to heavy splashing that occurs, and it's always on our nice carpeted (new) surface in the upstairs loft the tank resides in...
Lol, I had stopped using buckets to do my pwc and I use the python, so I just had left it running one time and forgot about it while filling up so it just overflowed like a waterfall over the tank and I got my basement flooded I did this like 5 times lol. I should go back to buckets huh
----------------AquaScaping Styles - Which style fits you?--------------
DanTheGuppyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:59 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTheGuppyMan View Post
Lol, I had stopped using buckets to do my pwc and I use the python, so I just had left it running one time and forgot about it while filling up so it just overflowed like a waterfall over the tank and I got my basement flooded I did this like 5 times lol. I should go back to buckets huh
I'm telling you...the buckets, as antiquated and antique as the method sounds, keep you "sharp" and "alert," knowing when you need to stop the syphoning before the bucket overflows, etc.; I know it's a lot of trips to the bathroom tub, but I have kinda gotten used to it...
Old 03-27-2013, 11:05 PM   #79
SKB
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Omg! I just did one! I cleaned my tank out last night and just realized I forgot to plug my heater back in!!!! Fish seem fine at 68, but they're african cichlids! Yikes!

Freshwater Newbie? Click this: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...um-154837.html
SKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:14 AM   #80
Aquarium Advice Addict

I just made another big mistake, luckily no one died from it!

I apparently had forgotten to read my thermometer correctly, normally I keep my temp at 81* but a couple nights ago i noticed that it looked like it was at 71, (i thought that i must have moved the dial during a w/c) which is too low for my betta girls, so i moved the heater dial a couple notches up and went to bed. (A careless mistake right there in itself)
This morning I looked at the thermometer again to make sure the temp had risen, because I thought that maybe the heater was starting to go bad..
Anyways, I took a double check because I saw it was back to what I thought was 71 again, nope....I'm a complete idiot!! It was 92* in the tank! I feel so horrible! No wonder everyone was acting so sluggish!
I'm just glad that I caught it before there were any deaths

I bet people are thinking "why didn't you look at the temp reading on the heater itself" well, I thought the thing was inaccurate because its a 100w for a 28g, I thought that it was too small to handle such high temperatures. Whoops!

Anyways, that's my most recent big mistake

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com