Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-22-2013, 12:01 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Just For Fun: The Dumbest Mistake You Ever Made With A Tank

I thought this would be fun and would help all the new aquarium hobbyists to peek behind the curtain of all the great advice offered here to see what mistakes even the best have made.

So, with that in mind, what is the dumbest mistake you've ever made with an aquarium? Did you know you were probably making a mistake or were you totally blind to the results that were right around the corner?

CatoeSc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:21 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

hmm lets see, 4 common plecos in a 55 gallon tank works right? lol mixed with about 30 other fish (tiger barbs, bala sharks, blue gouramis, pictus catfish, and corys) all bought from petsmart, feeding tropical flakes only with no test kits of any kind, oh and doing 100% water changes with the outside hose once a month....needless to say that tank did not last very long.

im glad that was 6 years ago and ive learned so much since then.

Old 03-22-2013, 12:31 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ugh, the dumbest mistake I probably ever made was starting a siphon by sucking on the tube, not being quick enough, and having dirty tank water come gushing into my mouth...gross
Old 03-22-2013, 12:46 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have 2

Not QT'ing
and Not Cycling

When I first started in the hobby, I didnt have a clue what a cycle was....had 2 goldfish in a 10 gallon and only changed the water 1x a week....they only lasted for a month or two.

After they died, got some new fish, didnt QT them and caught columnaris in the entire tank and lost everyone again!

I'm so glad I know better now!
Old 03-22-2013, 12:46 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Not doing weekly water changes and for some reason thinking my fish would be okay... Also over medicating. Also letting two cories loose all barbels and fins to finrot and torpedoing around the tank before realizing it was fin rot. Luckily they are both going strong in a very clean tank nowadays.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:50 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to DanTheGuppyMan Send a message via Yahoo to DanTheGuppyMan Send a message via Skype™ to DanTheGuppyMan
Well, back before I really got into this hobby I had 4 tanks all connected to re same filter system, and I added one little guppy with columnaris and wiped out my whole system and tanks! Had to restart
----------------AquaScaping Styles - Which style fits you?--------------
DanTheGuppyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:22 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Alyxx Send a message via Skype™ to Alyxx
Not QTing got me in big trouble, too. I lost my very loved pair of angels to a new addition with some sort of infection.

When I was a kid, I made a lot of bad stocking decisions. At one time I had a 10 gallon with maybe 7 or 8 fancy goldfish in it. And a community tropical tank in the same 10 gallon that included a red tailed shark that killed everyone else. Changed my filters pretty regularly, too. And I changed all of the water maybe once a month.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:52 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

First got my 10g tank, Mother told me I was responsible for cleaning it, and feeding the fish. It was all my responsibility. (I was 14)

Pffft I didn't know what a water change was, I'd just add some if I noticed a few inches evaporated out... And I'd use a Scrubber on the sides.
Oddly, those fish still lasted years....

OR using those Pellets for Pleco's... (We had only one Pleco)
Every day....
For a month...
Tank was a little cloudy.
THAT was I think the only time I ever did a water change, and it was a 100%

10g: (Lepoard/Zebra)Danios/Betta/Crayfish
Nelladeymx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:52 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I had 3 goldfish in a bowl that could not have been more than a gallon, an I only changed the water when I couldn't stand the smell anymore. They survived about a month.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:55 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Actually, I just made mine tonight. I mean I have done some dumb things, but tonight tops them all. I'm new to the whole "water changer" python. I was draining about 30% of the water to add clean water. So when I turned the water in the sink off, I got distracted by my daughter for a few minutes, not realizing the suction was still going on even with the faucet off. I almost drained my whole tank before I realized!!! I heard a fish flopping in the low water and freaked out. Needless to say, I won't get distracted again.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com