Just for fun. What is...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Redwolf91

Aquarium Advice Freak
Your favorite live rock hitchhiker that you have gotten. I found recently I got a bicolor blenny that was hiding in some rock attached to a coral. I'll get a better picture, he is sticking his head out here lol...

Sent from my Z750C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1396630730638.jpg
    1396630730638.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 85
Wow, great hitchhicker ! Free blenny, congratulations !

My best hitchhiker is a black little brittle star. Found it in a zoa frag.

My best hh was a porcelain crab
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396633429.134805.jpg
I also got a mantis once, wish I would of kept it, but I didn't have the fondness for them that I now do back then :(

Porcelain crabs are awesome.. Can't have enough brittle stars lol. I found a lot of hhs this tank. There are three pencil point urchins, a purple and orange pistol shrimp, some baby stars, and of course blenny. There was a mantis, but he went to a friends doing a species tank

A purple and a green montipora. I bought an acro on a rock and it must have had these before but were snapped off or something. I couldn't even see the little bits left behind but all of a sudden 2 different sps were growing off the back. I've now fragged the purple twice and the green 4 times and they keep coming back. Best freebee ever...

A couple years ago I bought a blue sponge on a softball size rock. Inside I could see some movement but not enough to make a ID. After a week I Spotted a arm of a small serpent star so I kept trying to get a good look at it because I was seeing something else in there. Another 3 weeks go by then I finally spot a claw in there from a red banded snapping shrimp. Apparently they had a symbiotic relationship. At the time I had a red coris wrasse that is reef safe with caution. Reef safe with caution means it's going to eat something. Also had a rock boring clam, may still have it!

I got some tiny neon blue sponges that were pretty sweet. Plus a million feather dusters

An entire live fish is a great hitchhiker! I've had sea stars, pistol shrimp, corals, macro algae, worms, etc, but these are my favorite two:

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_3363.jpg
    IMG_3363.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 60
Beautiful urchin, was it that size when you discovered it?

Beautiful urchin, was it that size when you discovered it?

goodness no! His body is about the size of a golf ball now, about 4" with spines. I found him when he was about the size of a pencil eraser. I actually found THREE- but all the coraline in my 75 couldn't support that many, so I sold the other two to the LFS

Brittle stars!
The blenny is a lucky find, I had to pay for my bicolor...worth it still lol...

They sure can decimate Coraline, probably a very good call. Totally off topic, but you are perhaps a Reptile lover?

They sure can decimate Coraline, probably a very good call. Totally off topic, but you are perhaps a Reptile lover?

Yeah. He's a neat dude and keeps a nice check on the coraline. I think the tank would be covered without him.
And yes- I've got a female water dragon due to lay this month and I'm excited!! I don't want to take the thread off topic but pm me if you want to talk about reptiles more! Lol

We really are thrilled to have blenny here, especially considering the rock he was in was fully out of the water a few times before going in the tank, and only got temp acclimated

I just remembered a few years ago I bought a neglected and forgotten 120g and there was maybe 4" of old old water in it. When I took it apart to transport it a 8" banded leporinus flew out from under a rock. I bagged him but he didn't make it, I assume from the stress. Still crazy that nobody noticed that huge fish. Lol

Back
Top Bottom