Koi "surgery"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Talvari

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Strange day at work... My coworker and I were looking over the new fish we got in this past week and we noticed one of the "large" (probably about 5 inches) koi was holding its mouth really funny. It almost looked broken.

We caught him and upon closer inspection, realized that he had a stone lodged in his mouth. He was trying so hard to spit it out, but it was well and truly lodged.

I ran my hands under water for awhile and rinsed them really well of any soaps, lotions, etc, then dried them off. I carefully picked up the fish and, using a pair of feeding tongs, gently tried to extract the stone. I couldn't get a good enough grip on the stone.

I let him back in the bucket we had set him in for a minute and retrieved a pair of tweezers. Picked him back up again, and after several attempts, finally got a good hold on the stone. I had to stretch his mouth out carefully and slowly, and when I finally got the stone out, I was shocked. It was almost an inch long and almost half an inch wide. No wonder it wouldn't come out!

We put him back into his tank and watched him for awhile. He seemed a little disoriented- no doubt from being out of the water- but after a few "yawns" he seemed to straighten out. When I left several hours later, he was fine.

Whats the strangest thing you've ever had to do for your fish?

I had to spend a solid 45 minutes if not more trying to extract one of my small catfish out of a decoration I didn't notice had a hole in it. I waited and waited, but he wouldn't come out. I also didn't stop to think until after that catfish have a sting, but I stuck my fingers into the decoration anyways haha. Got him out, and although I was sure he was going to be at least confused, thing swam away like he was completely happy.

Chiroptera- I hate when that happens! I had to toss a log like decoration because my pleco had outgrown it and kept lodging herself in it.

bettaowner- I had that happen once at work! I was trying to get the poor little guy free and got him stuck in the pad of my thumb instead. Dear lord that hurt. I finally got him free and he was no worse for the wear except a small tear in his side fin.

christine2012 - haha, I read that a few days ago. I am glad they are okay!

Back
Top Bottom