l wanna get into fish keeping/selling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jwh0818

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I live in Houston TX and I'm looking to start a business with fish. Any advice on what i would need to get started other than alot of money

TheCrazyFishLady said:
Good connections, patience, lots of experience, a good draw for customers, a high-traffic location, a back-up plan.

What do you mean by a back up plan. I could find a place to rent here and start there

Well, local fish shops do not make very much in the beginning (for the most part) or have the longevity that is needed for a profitable business. So, you are putting in lots and lots as a start up with no guarantee that you will end with a profit. Many shops have a loyal basis of customers that stick to their shop. So, if you are in an area with other local shops, it may be difficult to pull people in. Also, chain stores are a big hit on local business. Now, hopefully this will not occur to you. Just saying, it's best to have a back up plan.

I live in Santa fe. We have petsmart petco and companion. I get some times angry about it. And try also to start up cichild store. Only cichilds. The thing is. A lot of money. I have connection in europe who can deliver stuff to me. As medication. But you need to make a name for your self. And knowing people who has these fish. It,s kinda hard to set this up. In the future I try to do this in a garage. Start small and see how far I can get with it. Selling fish and keep people happy. Good advies. Even when they have sik fish. I wish you the best of luck.

You better have a lot of cash coming from another source.

The first few years will end up in net losses. The only way for you to succeed is to persevere during those hard cloudy days. You will literally have to save every freakin penny and find ways to save even more. That is how most small business succeed. You have to work above and beyond the standard 40hr work week. It will affect your family life. Fish shops is similar to many other small business.

If you are able to do all of the above, then everything will fall into place.

Back
Top Bottom