Lemme try this....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

austinsdad

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hoping all americans (heck, the world maybe) can realize what this country has done on November 4. Regardless of your party affiliation or preferred candidate, this country took a heck of a step into the future.

I think from the early returns around the world, we've inspired many people and proved why this country is so great. John McCain kinda said it all in his concession speech. It was a great one I think BTW. I've even read staunch republicans being very proud and almost in tears about how proud they are of the USA.

Now, I'm not one to get up on soapboxes, but all I can say is "great job America". Just this once.

Now, we all get to work. All of our leaders deserve our support.

Hopefully I haven't offended anyone. Let's keep the comments civil. I promise to respect your opinion if you do the same for mine. :hat:

Thanks for listening.

I was impressed as well with OBAMA I just hope he can do what he says he can do. He is a great public speaker lets hope he is more than just that.

I think we have taken a step in the right direction!

I have to agree with Ray, I too am proud of this country and I have great hope that our new president will be able to turn our country around and make it a better place.

I'll try to be as clear as i can....My pride is in the country that elected a black man. With a "different" sounding name even. Muslim sounding actually (but he's not of course). Yet, this country saw past all that IMO and saw the qualities in a person that they thought would make a difference.

I be concerned that anyone cannot understand the historical significance of the event, and it's place in American history. Maybe you weren't around or don't know much about the 60s. A qwik study of those times might help.

I'll try to be as clear as i can....My pride is in the country that elected a black man. With a "different" sounding name even. Muslim sounding actually (but he's not of course). Yet, this country saw past all that IMO and saw the qualities in a person that they thought would make a difference.

I be concerned that anyone cannot understand the historical significance of the event, and it's place in American history. Maybe you weren't around or don't know much about the 60s. A qwik study of those times might help.
I understand the history and agree totally. Just didn't quite get what you meant with the original post is all. I guess I didn't realize the signifigance of him being black because I didn't think it was a big deal in today's day in age.

Just for the record ... Obama is not black. He is milano(spelling?). So to that fact.....We still have not elected a Black President. But we are half way there.

Please do not take exception to this point.....just stating a fact

Wow. Guess its still easier for some to believe that he's not black? I understand.

BTW, were'd that "fact" get published? Not taking exception either, just wonderin'.

Biography: Barack Hussein Obama was born Aug. 4, 1961, in Honolulu, Hawaii. His father, Barack Obama, Sr., was born of Luo ethnicity in Nyanza Province, Kenya. He grew up herding goats with his own father, who was a domestic servant to the British. Although reared among Muslims, Obama, Sr., became an atheist at some point.
Obama’s mother, Ann Dunham, grew up in Wichita, Kansas. Her father worked on oil rigs during the Depression. After the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, he signed up for service in World War II and marched across Europe in Patton’s army. Dunham’s mother went to work on a bomber assembly line. After the war, they studied on the G. I. Bill, bought a house through the Federal Housing Program, and moved to Hawaii.
Meantime, Barack’s father had won a scholarship that allowed him to leave Kenya pursue his dreams in Hawaii. At the time of his birth, Obama’s parents were students at the East–West Center of the University of Hawaii at Manoa.
Obama’s parents separated when he was two years old and later divorced. Obama’s father went to Harvard to pursue Ph. D. studies and then returned to Kenya.
His mother married Lolo Soetoro, another East–West Center student from Indonesia. In 1967, the family moved to Jakarta, where Obama’s half-sister Maya Soetoro–Ng was born. Obama attended schools in Jakarta, where classes were taught in the Indonesian language.
Four years later when Barack (commonly known throughout his early years as "Barry") was ten, he returned to Hawaii to live with his maternal grandparents, Madelyn and Stanley Dunham, and later his mother (who died of ovarian cancer in 1995).
He was enrolled in the fifth grade at the esteemed Punahou Academy, graduating with honors in 1979. He was only one of three black students at the school. This is where Obama first became conscious of racism and what it meant to be an African–American.
In his memoir, Obama described how he struggled to reconcile social perceptions of his multiracial heritage. He saw his biological father (who died in a 1982 car accident) only once (in 1971) after his parents divorced. And he admitted using alcohol, marijuana and cocaine during his teenage years.
After high school, Obama studied at Occidental College in Los Angeles for two years. He then transferred to Columbia University in New York, graduating in 1983 with a degree in political science.
After working at Business International Corporation (a company that provided international business information to corporate clients) and NYPIRG, Obama moved to Chicago in 1985. There, he worked as a community organizer with low-income residents in Chicago’s Roseland community and the Altgeld Gardens public housing development on the city’s South Side.

Just to show you this fact....read his memoirs. I do believe he used his partial black heritage to his advantage. But I do object that he did not bring that fact to light until after the elections. When talking about the dog he was going to get the girls....he called himself a "mutt"

Still never saw anything that said he had "partially black heritage" in the article you provided. As I said before, if that's what you need to understand, then it's OK w/me. You're the only one defining his heritage that way. The article you provided has references to African American and black. Did you read it?

Oh yeah. Kenyan(african) father btw. White mother from Kansas. Mutt reference. I get it.

Now you gotta show me facts or proof he used his partial black heritage to his advantage. Or is that hear say too? If he did, why was that bad?

I see where you are coming from about being proud that America didn't NOT elect a man because he was black. But at the same time you must consider the fact that he was elected BECAUSE of his race and that's just as racist as NOT voting for him because of his skin color. Where's my proof? 90% of blacks in the U.S. are democratic and 98% of blacks in this election voted for Obama from what I've heard. I've heard so many morons (whites) say "it'd be cool to have a black president" and went out and voted for him based soley on that position. They had no clue about his background and his lack of experience and went out and cast their vote anyway. It's those same morons that are ruining this country and it's sickening that someone so uneducated about the candidates is allowed to vote at all. I never knew that skin color gave someone the experience needed to run a country. I have no problem whatsoever with the fact that he is black, I'd vote for Colin Powell if he would have ran for office. What sickens me is when people fail to realize that they themselves are being hypocritically racist whenever they take skin color into account in making a judgement.

I see where you are coming from about being proud that America didn't NOT elect a man because he was black. But at the same time you must consider the fact that he was elected BECAUSE of his race and that's just as racist as NOT voting for him because of his skin color. Where's my proof? 90% of blacks in the U.S. are democratic and 98% of blacks in this election voted for Obama from what I've heard. I've heard so many morons (whites) say "it'd be cool to have a black president" and went out and voted for him based soley on that position. They had no clue about his background and his lack of experience and went out and cast their vote anyway. It's those same morons that are ruining this country and it's sickening that someone so uneducated about the candidates is allowed to vote at all. I never knew that skin color gave someone the experience needed to run a country. I have no problem whatsoever with the fact that he is black, I'd vote for Colin Powell if he would have ran for office. What sickens me is when people fail to realize that they themselves are being hypocritically racist whenever they take skin color into account in making a judgement.
My thoughts on this are Perception is often times Reality. What people percieve to be a good leader is what they vote on. The one thing OBAMA is strong at is being a Public speaker and making people feel good. In comparison to President Bush's public speaking ability its a breath of fresh air. And what John Mcain had against him was too many similarity's to President Bush's way of thinking that has put us in the situation we are in. Ultimately its a matter of choosing the better of 2 evils. OBAMA just had the better Image,. IMO a presidency is all about how you present yourself to the people. There is a tiny percentage of voters who really study up on the candidates background, most people just watch the debate on TV and vote. When OBAMA beat out Hillary Clinton I knew then that it was official

this is the point I was trying to make is people voted just to vote him into office yet they did not know his background or his lack of experience in a leadership roll...

They went out to a barack party and asked people how they felt about his running mate Sarah Palin....and the people actually answer that she was cool

Back
Top Bottom