Leopard frog

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

toribartkowski

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi I’m looking to make my tank better for my leopard frog, Astro. I’m hoping to make the tank half water and half land. I’m posting because I need advice on how to make this work successfully because every time I’ve tried to build it, it doesn’t work to my satisfaction.

Tori, with the addition of a lagoon in your frog tank, without a filter it will soon become a stagnant, stinky mess. Maybe Astro would like a terrarium type home with a ceramic pool sunk into the gravel, surrounded by small rocks and plants.
Of all things to have, my wife keeps two grey tree frogs in a small terrarium, decorated as described. She gives them a thorough misting with water everyday and feeds grasshoppers, crickets and moths we catch. It looks great, and the frogs look happy and healthy.

Hi there,

I don't know anything specifically about leopard frogs, however I have a half land, half water tank for my fire bellied toads. I found a plastic sterilite container at Wal-Mart that was approximately half of my tank size (I'm using a 20L) and placed this on one side of the tank. Then, I built up the land side using gravel on the bottom to allow drainage, sand on top (since I didn't have enough gravel) and then I covered that with eco earth and sphagnum moss. I sloped it so it's easy for the frogs to access the water portion. I then filled the water with lots of rocks for ease of climbing in and out of the water area. I'll attach a pic so you can see what I mean.

It's very easy to either siphon the water out or just remove the plastic tub and rinse out when I do my cleaning. Hope this helps!

20171025_134543.jpg

I've successfully created half water, half land (paludarium) tanks using rocks (foamed and siliconed) and a glass plate siliconed into a turtle tank. This allows the inclusion of a filter system and prevents water from becoming stagnant. You can follow the link at the bottom to view the bog tank, and the salamander paludarium is in the amphibian subforum. Not sure what state the pictures are since photobuckets big change over.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f136/wy-renegades-40b-tiger-salamander-paludarium-332973.html

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom