Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-06-2014, 07:29 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

lfs closing. local reptile store interested in starting fish

sorry if this is in the wrong section. couldn't figure out where it would fit best. My local fish store is going out of business which is a total bummer but there is a small reptile store that is doing well and might be interested in starting to sell fish. I am interested in helping them get into fish and I am wondering what would be the best way to do so. I figured that it would be best to start off with a smaller selection of the more popular fish that are cheaper and sell well such as cories, guppies, tetras. I would like to get a solid idea/plan before going to them. Thanks for any suggestions and ideas. I hope that i can help them get in to the aquarium business and sell fish responsibly.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:34 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You should sell all the fish tank necessities and tanks there too and give discounts on fish when they buy tanks.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:22 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I definitely will encourage him to accept fish that are breed by customers for store credit
Old 01-07-2014, 12:13 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

The first thing they need to have is a reliable source for livestock. (Fish from home breeders will be nice but they will need a larger variety of fish than what most people breed. ) They should research their sellers as to quality, quantity and reliability. If they can go to local wholesalers would be better so they can see and pick the fish they want instead of depending on someone else catching a problem with the stock. Quality is the only thing that trumps price. Places that sell crappy fish cheap don;t sell fish for long. Places that sell quality repeatedly are the ones that survive. They also need to know what they are selling and proper care and maintainence of the fish they sell. If the owner doesn't know it, they need to hire someone who does.
It takes a lot to run a fish section. It's a lot more than what we do as hobbyists. I know from experience

Hope this helps
Old 01-07-2014, 12:53 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I reccomend getting at least a few things that arent available at petco/petsmart to draw in customers. Like german blue rams, siamese algae eaters, threadfin rainbows. Etc....

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 01-07-2014, 02:01 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would also make sure they have a quarantine system.

Rule number two: Always cycle your tank.
bettaowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:41 AM   #7
come get me tang police!

Your best bet is to find a good fish dealer to order through, there are several. If you can find one near your region shipping will be cheaper. Then you need to figure out how many tanks they are going to work with to determine how much you can stock.

Quaranting new arrivals is good practice, but honestly most pet stores don't. When you are getting them all from the same dealer, you are putting trust in their ability to keep their stock healthy before sending it.

As for what species, go with the easy stuff as you mentioned. Bread and butter fish like tetras, corys, etc, are not only cheap, they are popular. Once you get things rolling it might be cool to stock a few uncommon things, but don't go crazy with it. Your average customer is not going to understand or appreciate the difference between wild or f1 cichlid strain versus a tank of mixed mashups.

Not saying all people are like this, but many of your customers are going to want something cheap and nice to look at, so don't dedicate too much time specializing in the rare stuff until you get the basics covered.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:44 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

See from my standpoint I would only go into a locally owned pet shop if it had something petsmart didnt offer. If they have the same run of the mill things and petsmart is cheaper then ill probably still go to petsmart. Im the consumer looking for the best bang for my buck. I would love to be able to support local business but in reality I just cant afford the prices some of these local shops charge for things... not if I want to be able to continue being involved in this hobby anyway.

Now a reptile specialty store... thats somewhere I could spend some money... provided their prices are competitive... I get most of my herp stuff at repticon.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 01-07-2014, 05:41 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

The only other pet store in the area is petsmart so it wouldn't be hard to have a selection of fish that varies from what they offer. I greatly enjoyed the variety the closing store offered they just didn't run the business effectively.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:01 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would hate to try running a business off of the best bang for the buck crowd. You know why so many LFS fail?

Tags
fish, lfs, star, start, starting, store

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com