Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-20-2013, 02:33 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
LFS Owners? Pick Your Brain?

I hope I'm not imposing with these questions.

I've been breeding guppies for several years. I have 20 tanks and about 300 gallons of water. I have two nice lines going, one is straight from a top breeder, the other is one I was able to develop on my own. At this point I'm purely a hobbyist, limited knowledge, but I'd like to expand the hobby a bit. I'm thinking about starting to enter some shows, and build a website, or alternatively, set up distribution with some local fish stores. My question is whether there a LFS would be an appropriate place to sell guppies to the public for at least twice the price of the standard stock.

I've taken lots of fish into a couple local stores over the past few years, and they're always happy to see them coming. I trade out for some food or equipment. They always sell very quickly, and they tell me mine are a lot healthier than what they get from the suppliers. I'd like to put together a consignment program for the LFS where they provide tank space, and I keep them stocked with something akin to show quality guppies, I cover all replacements, they sell them and collect the funds and we settle up at the end of the month. I was thinking the LFS would get 1/3 for tank and overhead, 1/3 for profit, and I'd get the other 1/3. Here are my questions, if I haven't already bored you to death.

1. Would the general guppy-buying public see any greater value in a higher quality guppy than what is normally available from a supplier? I'd be glad to pay $10 or even $15 apiece instead of $5 for really nice gupps, but I'm a geek.

2. How many guppies a week does a LFS with moderate traffic sell?

3. Do most people who buy guppies buy pairs? Or trios? Or just males? I separate all my fish at about 1 month, but I can get them to grow a lot faster if I put them together later on.

4. Do you think offering some kind of plan on paper with a bottom line profit per month number for the LFS owner would tweak their interest?

Thanks in advance if you're able to offer any insight.

MrTaxGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:55 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
I can t offer any answers to your questions but, you seem very earnest & I wish you the best of luck in your endeavor. And geeks rule, just ask Bill Gates .

Rodeo one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:18 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
I say go for it.

You'll be awesome.
clearancepuppy is offline   Reply With Quote

ick, lfs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com