Lfs Shock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi guys,

I was at a lfs the other day and they was selling bamboo sharks. They were in a 1 foot tank with some urchins and liverock :( They couldn't move and were clearly suffering. I asked the owner why they were in a small tank when he had a 6' X 3' fish only tank and he said the baby sharks might hurt his stock. The fish in the big tank were biggere than the sharks! To test him out I asked what tank would be suitable for a shark and he said a 3' tank would be fine :x

Then he put his hand in the tank to poke one and realised he had crushed one to death at feeding time with a piece of liverock . He also sold blue ribbon eels. He said he has seen one thriving in a tank less than 1' foot in length because they curl up into a ball and are quite happy in that state. He had lots of new stock in that day and a third of it was belly up.

Have you got any lfs horror stories?

[center:cc01c766e3] :smilecolros: Welcome to AA, 121! :n00b: [/center:cc01c766e3]

There's lots of horror stories out there!!

Thats nothing.

I've walked into LFS that have had ICH in EVERY TANK

Fresh and Salt both, infested with Ich.

So many parasites covering these fish that you couldn't even tell what the fish were. Their tanks looked like Hiroshima after WW2.

and they were still selling fish " What? Those white spots are part of his natural camoflauge! " 8O

Thanks Menagerie :)

William,

Thats unbelievable! We have organisations that regulate other animals but who regulates shops that sell fish and corals?

I find it upsetting. The lfs mentioned above keeps anemones under low wattage florescent lamps! Their feet are damaged and most of them are deteriorating :(

I dunno if you can do this over in Europe where you are, but try calling animal control, animal humane services, something like that. Trust me, they will respond to fish calls.

I had a lady call Animal Control on me, for selling betta fish in cups. They WILL go and inspect too.

Just a thought ya know. It might scare them, or atleast if things are that bad, they will get fined and wise up a bit. :|

So... Do you still sell betas fish in cups?

Yes, I do. They found nothing wrong with the way they were in there. The cups are pretty big, and by showing them my weekly sales, very rarely are any of them there for more than 6 days. I usually sell all 45 I order in the same week. They were clean, fed, etc. So the animal control said they could find nothing I was doing wrong.

Still though, it will get them to come out and look atleast. And if they do find something wrong, they should fix it.

Devilishturtles said:
Still though, it will get them to come out and look atleast. And if they do find something wrong, they should fix it.

That is good, maybe I should call them to go check out this pet store by the grocery store that put betas in sandwich bags and hang them in the merchandise hooks...

Hey Devilish, did that give you quite a scare?

Nope Menagerie, I had nothing to worry about. :) I was a little apprehensive, but everything was clean, 1 dead in the tanks, nothing was sick. They (animal control) said they could find nothing wrong, and that they understand the betta situation.

I think they meant to go to the WM across town...but we're not going to go there.

That is good, maybe I should call them to go check out this pet store by the grocery store that put betas in sandwich bags and hang them in the merchandise hooks...

Definitley, give them a ring. Worst they can do is not go. Atleast your complaint will be on file. Get a few others to call too, about the same place. Should do the trick!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom