LFS Worker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

atomicgoose

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello AA Members,

I'm a worker at a LFS and I was wondering what would be the best advice to give someone who's wanting fish same day they buy the tank. I explain cycling the tank but I'm sure explaining ammonia nitrite and nitrate the first time you come in is a little much.

Another problem I get is people wanting tons of fish for a little tank, at my store selling fish isn't a major priority because we allow fish returns (all freshwater) so it actually hurts us if your fish dies. I'm also not allowed to deny fish....

I just wanted to know from a customers view point.

I think that you should tell them what they need to know. About cycling and what not. Explain that it can seem overwhelming at first but you are trying to help them prevent numerous problems down the road. Explain that it takes time but if you go about it the right way they will have a much better experience in fish keeping. I hear people all the time talking about getting rid of their aquariums after only a short period of time because all the fish they buy keep die in such a short time. A customer needs to know these things. Just tell them you are not trying to stop them from buying fish right away but you are just trying to make their experience a good one.

As far as people wanted a bunch of fish for their tanks it's a very easy fix! Just explain to them all the bad thing that happen from putting a fish that will outgrow the tank or how much more work will come out of overstocking and the aggression issues that will come from it. Whats the name of the lfs if you don't mind and where is it?

I for one would appreciate someone telling me info that I need to know but wouldn't have known otherwise, especially when it's about advice that will help save me money in the long run. About cycling I would tell them about it briefly and tell them to go research on their own so they dont get overwhelmed with someone they don't know talking about a lot of stuff they probably won't understand. I think you were to talk on and on and on about cycling and completely overwhelm
a customer you would more than likely talk them out of buying anything, which isn't good for you.

There should be a leaflet, printed and ready to hand to customers that explains everything that you want to.. but in writing so they can look at it and remember it.

Newb headlines.

1) Why you shouldn't add fish the same day as setting up your tank
2) Why less is more

scottayy said:
There should be a leaflet, printed and ready to hand to customers that explains everything that you want to.. but in writing so they can look at it and remember it.

Newb headlines.

2) Why less is more

I really like this idea. I wish all pet stores did this!

If people insist on adding fish the same day after you've explained cycling to them, etc, I send them home with a huge bottle of stability, prime, and matrix. Does your return policy involve them bringing in a water sample?

Newb headlines.

2) Why less is more

Pets at home in the UK have a leaflet that they hand out like this, the smaller stores don't seem to, when I started I went to a a smaller shop and they told me it would be ok to put the fish in the next day, so I did so and when I woke up the next morning after putting the fish in they was all dead and one had jumped out of it, I think telling the customer it will waste your money as the fish will die would make them think twice as well.

Plus I think I you was to tell the to come on here and look at the threads that members have put up would help them out as well, I didn't really have a clue about what's what before I came on here,

Dude you would have to be the best worker ever I rearly see people who care about their job to the point where they want to better their customer service skill top job mate.

I also work in a petstore and when I have customers like this I am brutally honest and tell them that all the fish will die if they add too many at once. Pending on tank size I let them keep picking fish and then tell them that is enough when they hit the limit and that they can come back in a week with a small sample of water so I can test it and let them know if its safe to get more.

The first store I bought fish from told me everything was all right and my tank was ready. I had just set it up the day after Christmas and bought fish the next day. I put my fish in, with "Tetra Safe Start" and I also over stocked my tank. I had fish die left and right on me! Funny thing is, I didn't have the fish I like die on me. My Clown Loaches somehow made it though the cycle process. I was having a very bad time with my tank and I wanted to quit, but my clowns were still alive so I pressed on. I went back to the store and asked what had happened and they didn't know. I bought a water tester only to find everything off the charts. At this point I went to the internet. I learned about everything and the cycle process. I was upset at the LFS and I have not been back since, they lost my business.

I had two clown loaches, 5 glow fish, and 2 large gouramis left over in a 29 gallon tank. I had originally had 2 clown loaches, 5 glow fish, 2 large gouramis, 4 dwarf gouramis, 1 Rainbow (I took back due to him being bullied), 2 dalmatian molly's, and two sword tails. ALL IN A 29 gallon, all of which my LFS said was ok to START OUT WITH!! Well needless to what was left over was probably the max my tank could have, and the Clown loaches were going to need a Bigger tank. I was never told size requirements from my LFS. I was told keep buying, here you go!! I had enough after my Clowns got ICK and died. So I took all the other fish I had back to another fish store for credit (Not much credit). I didn't want to have another tank.

Had the LFS told me about the cycle process and educated me, I would still be a customer to this day. I went to another pet store (Jacks) because I wanted to do what I originality wanted to do a Saltwater Tank. They told me everything I needed, and told me about the live sand and rock and skimmers. They told me about the cycle and they also helped me with fish selection. Along with this website I have gained so much knowledge. I bought stuff from Jacks (even though they are overpriced in a lot of things) just because of their help and the knowledge they gave me.

My Saltwater tank is set up and cycling right now. No fish, and my stock list has been thought out extensively. It has changed over the course of a few weeks. :p But that's because now that my tank is up and running my imagination is going wild. Members on this site has helped me greatly and I have refereed many people that are having problems with their tanks to this site.

Sorry for the LONG post, but the bottom line is this. Had the original LFS told me about the cycle process and helped me stock my tank with the proper fish I would still be a customer of that LFS to this day.

My LFS tells people. By first the tank. Let it cycle then test your water. Come then back for fish. If a tank, suply and fish going out that same day. They tell you the fish that or dead during the proces can not be returnend. Because they told you first to cycle a tank. There or people that buy the tank at petco and drive to petsmart for fish lol

Most of the employees at petsmart near me just tell people to set up the tank and let it run for 3 or 4 days and it will be ready for fish. Drives me crazy that they think that is "cycling" the tank. A couple times I've waited til the employee walks away and I tell the person to go home and read what cycling a tank really is and just running a tank for a few days is going to do absolutely nothing.

Lol. The LFS knowing me bay now. There was this woman. With her kid in the store. Looking for fish. I was standing at the cichlids side. And she had non agressive fish. She saw the cichlids and start to complain about the prise of these fish oooh so expensive. 10$ for one fish. But they or so pretty. I went yup. So she asked if she could put one cichlid in her tank. So the LFS sad I would not do it they will get killed as soon that cichlid gets bigger she sad not even 1. So I start to shake my head nope. I walk out of the store and she followed me asking if she could take a look at my tanks at home considering to go with cichlids. I agree. She was overwhelm about the tanks that I had. Her mouth wide open. Oooh but they or so big. Thats why you can not have one. She was in my house for 30 min. And decide to get rid of her fish. And go with cichlids good luck. And bay bay. A woman that did not know about cichlids. I told her to read on the net before she got drag away. Like I did. But awesome that she took her time. Lol

I go through the same thing, working at a pet store. And most customers really really don't want to wait, even for a week let alone 6+ weeks! So I send them home with these things: pamphlets I made about setting up a freshwater tank, a pamphlet about the nitrogen cycle, a bottle of cycle (BB jump starting liquid, like safe start by tetra), and a piece of established sponge filter media. All of these were things I had to fight tooth and nail for, but eventually my manger let me hand of the pamphlets and keep a supply of little sponge filter blocks in our tanks at all times, so new tank owners don't have to go through the huge ordeal of cycling, which can be very overwhelming at first. A week later, they can come back and get a couple hardy fish, like the big bodied tetras (black skirt, diamond, pristella, etc). Almost all of the time, they have a successful first tank, and remain happy fish owners. Good luck, and remember that the tough process of explaining it to customers is well worth it when you can help them have a good experience, earn honest cash for your store (this is why my manager lets me do all this, because it keeps happy paying customers!), and it keeps fish from dying unnecessarily.

Newb headlines.

2) Why less is more

I like this idea also!

I was in Petsmart today (only shop at mom and pop stores, but I had nothing better to do) and I just watch as the employees give terrible advice, while I try to keep my mouth shut. A lady comes in and says she doesn't want a big tank and doesn't want a lot of maintenance. So the lady goes over, picks up a 1 quart little plastic bowl and says that this will be plenty for 1 betta, as they like really small spaces.

Then, a guy walks over with a 5 gallon kit he's going to purchase and says he wants an aggressive fish to put in it. So before even having the tank setup they convince him to buy a tiger Oscar.

Omg the fishmanity! An Oscar in a 5 gallon!?? It really is terrible how unprofessional and uneducated the chain employees are. It's not their fault it's the company, but still. I'm also a slider keeper and when I see about 5-6 adults in a 30 gallon display tank it makes me want to puke. Really is terrible, then again I saved mine from a NYC Chinese vendor.

Omg the fishmanity! An Oscar in a 5 gallon!?? It really is terrible how unprofessional and uneducated the chain employees are. It's not their fault it's the company, but still. I'm also a slider keeper and when I see about 5-6 adults in a 30 gallon display tank it makes me want to puke. Really is terrible, then again I saved mine from a NYC Chinese vendor.

5-6 Oscars in a 30? To be honest it depends on the situation there... If they are at the lfs who is to say someone cone in and said I have 4, 20gallons with these Oscar in it and wanted the lfs to take them. Unfortunately that lfs does not have the tank quality or quantity to house them properly but don't want to turn them away and not give the chance for someone else to properly house them. And don't want to turn them away because who knows what will happen.
If its at someones house. They should properly educate themselves on their fish

Back
Top Bottom