Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-24-2012, 05:35 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Library tank

So my library has a 75 long. Until about 2 weeks ago, they had 2 blood red parrots and a giant danio in the tank. The tank was disgusting. Algae everywhere, filter clogged,
Just horrible. But now it has 2 airstones, cleaned out everything, new decorations, and new fish. Here's there stock list.

2 tiger barbs

2 really big algae eaters

3 neon tetras that I believe have ich ):

And 4 black skirt tetras.

Old 08-24-2012, 05:43 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jcolon Send a message via Skype™ to jcolon
I'm assuming you mean your local public library ... And not a library room / study at your home. If so, mention to them that the two TB's will probably eventually bully the other fish as they mature (assuming they're juveniles).
Adding another 4-5 will go a long way to shifting their aggression on each other.

Also ...mention to Turn up the heater in the tank to 88F if there is Ich. I'm wagering If the tank was filthy a few weeks ago, I'd give them another few weeks ... Maybe months before you see the same. Your indicator will be if they treat the possible Ich issue.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:14 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

They won't.
Old 08-25-2012, 04:47 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Write a letter to your newspaper. Waste and neglect in gov't is a favorite topic of any newspaper. Also give it an animal abuse twist, and then in that letter volunteer to maintain the tank if the library buys the supplies or a local pet store donates them.
Old 08-25-2012, 04:52 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

I've always thought about that.
Old 08-25-2012, 04:56 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'd go bug the pet stores and see if they will donate anything. If they say no, in your letter you can say "I asked PetsTown (or whoever) to assist with some supplies or a discount and they declined." I bet you'd get a call the next day and they'd donate a little bit.

I'm telling you, a little public shame about a gov't office does wonders for results. They usually snap to attention and cure the problem so that they stop getting mentioned by the newspaper.

Good luck. And if you're lucky, you'll get to maintain an extra tank and it will feel like your own. Watching people enjoy something you worked on is very rewarding.
Old 08-25-2012, 04:59 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thank you!
Old 08-25-2012, 07:01 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy
I'd go bug the pet stores and see if they will donate anything. If they say no, in your letter you can say "I asked PetsTown (or whoever) to assist with some supplies or a discount and they declined." I bet you'd get a call the next day and they'd donate a little bit.

I'm telling you, a little public shame about a gov't office does wonders for results. They usually snap to attention and cure the problem so that they stop getting mentioned by the newspaper.

Good luck. And if you're lucky, you'll get to maintain an extra tank and it will feel like your own. Watching people enjoy something you worked on is very rewarding.
Yes, either write in to the local paper, OR call the local news channel. They may bring tv cameras down and put it on tv. That will def. Get some attention.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:54 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

My local Chinese restraunt had a 55 gallon tank with an arrowana for a while. Then it was a pair of geophagus. Now it's filled with 40+ swordtails that are malnourished. The lighting is terriable,the background is faded. I want to do a make over but the same thing might happen.

Rule number two: Always cycle your tank.
bettaowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:16 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettaowner
My local Chinese restraunt had a 55 gallon tank with an arrowana for a while. Then it was a pair of geophagus. Now it's filled with 40+ swordtails that are malnourished. The lighting is terriable,the background is faded. I want to do a make over but the same thing might happen.
I know what you mean, Chinese buffet near me has what I believe is a 265gal in the wall 2 arrowanas @15-18" and I'm guessing like 30 blood parrots and couple other fish that probably don't belong in there. I just keep thinking it could be so nice if the owners would just try a little harder

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com