Lizards, hermies anyone??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you did split up the tank, you could buy a few more hermits since they like being in groups. Also, another thing you could/should do is add a little "waiting pool" for your hermits. Mine liked drinking from their "pool" more so than from a sponge for some reason

DanW0007 said:
I wanted Mantella frogs, but I read they can't climb on glass. Since my tank is taller than long, does that mean they won't do so well in it?

Well, you will have a lot of wasted space, but they can be kept in such a tank.

Also, are they as hard to feed as it makes it out to be?

No, but you need to be able to have pinhead crickets and flightless fruit flies on hand at all times.

My other option was an African Wahlberg Gecko, but I'm worried about the temperment. I know its not worse than a Tokay, but I also know its not like a Leopard Gecko either. Basically, should I worry about it "freaking out" when I clean out it's cage?

Ah, Homopholis wahlbergi...a very interesting and uncommon choice (May I ask why?). A very hardy species, and one that will become accustomed enough to you that you should be able to clean its cage with little stress on the lizard's part (although H. occipitalis would be more calm).

Can the hermit crabs 'eat' the coral if it is whole? I thought they could, should I be supplementing their food? If so, is crushed Tums ok? (fruit flavor) I eat those myself for calcium.

Thanks for all the info......

I just powder the crushed stuff with a light hammer-tap, but I suppose Tums would probably be OK, although I would use the plain, unsweetened sort.

Well I work at a petstore, and "Marky Mark" as we like to call him (Walhberg, get it?) has been there longer than I have. Feel bad for the little guy. He has a lot of personality and is the perfect size for what I'm looking for. The thing is, I just don't trust him. I normally clean his cage very cautiously, and it usually goes okay...but I'm worried if I get him, he's going to have to get used to a new place again and it's gonna be bad. I don't mind getting bit, but I don't want it to be the type of thing I have to worry about all the time.

I think I narrowed it down to him, and a pair of crested geckos. I have a feeling I'll end up buying the Walhberg, but it's hard to pass on a pair of geckos that will not only be okay with you, but you can pick up.

When we lived in S. Florida there was a pet store that specialized in all sorts of reptiles, and their shop was in a huge row of warehouses. A few of the tokays got out and took up residence behind the fascia board of the roof outside. The females laid eggs up there and lots of people tried to get those tokays out of there, but they had such a serious bite that they had to just leave them. They slowly enticed them out eventually, but everyone had a serious respect for the bite of the tokay gecko.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom