Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-21-2013, 05:03 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Regular

Keep in mind we are discussing Betta splendins, which are raised in rice paddies in Thailand and bred by breeders who place them in practically any container they can find. Vendors ship them in tiny plastic bags with just enough water to get them there. Labyrinth fishes that breathe from the surface and don't require filteration due to that aspect of their gills. Even with filteration, it needs to be very subdued.
Im not sure whether this thread is about the controversy of how people house Bettas, or whether the Boy With The Locker Fish is a bad fish parent.

Old 09-21-2013, 05:04 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think we should avoid making these threads because it just makes responsible owners angry. There's no defending it, sorry your getting the abuse about it but its inevitable. Keep this to yourself because its irritating too many members, no offense of course it's not your fault.

Old 09-21-2013, 05:06 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsabellaRows View Post
Keep in mind we are discussing Betta splendins, which are raised in rice paddies in Thailand and bred by breeders who place them in practically any container they can find. Vendors ship them in tiny plastic bags with just enough water to get them there. Labyrinth fishes that breathe from the surface and don't require filteration due to that aspect of their gills. Even with filteration, it needs to be very subdued.
Im not sure whether this thread is about the controversy of how people house Bettas, or whether the Boy With The Locker Fish is a bad fish parent.
Its about both. Just because vendors and breeders dosnt it mean its okay. I hate to see an animal that is misunderstood. This guy should either get rid of the fish. Or properly care for it. Thats my input.
Old 09-21-2013, 05:13 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Regular

Tell him to do partial water changes every 2 days with his half gallon though.
Old 09-21-2013, 05:18 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My Betta are in 1 gal to .5 gal bowls and I do full WC once a week and my oldest is 3 years old going strong . I am hoping to make all their bowls 1 gal or more though eventually . I own 7
Old 09-21-2013, 09:05 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsabellaRows View Post
Tell him to do partial water changes every 2 days with his half gallon though.
I'll be sure to tell him, thanks.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:06 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshenanagins View Post
I think we should avoid making these threads because it just makes responsible owners angry. There's no defending it, sorry your getting the abuse about it but its inevitable. Keep this to yourself because its irritating too many members, no offense of course it's not your fault.
It's quite alright, I wasn't expecting it to be quite this controversial.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:07 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubs1281 View Post
I actually thought tof running a one gallon tetra cube in my locker with shrimp. Not a beta. But its probably against school code and I couldn't think of a way to do it.
I looked carefully in the student handbook and there surprisingly isn't anything in it that says he can't,
Old 09-21-2013, 09:55 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshenanagins View Post
I don't mean to be the mean one but this is absurd, tell Michelangelo to take the fish HOME. It's not fair to the fish, especially the lack of heat. Or, the opposite, it could cook in that locker. Also I'm sure the janitors clean and spray the hallways, where do you think those fumes are going? Tell your friend to be responsible I get the "cool factor" but it's a living being.
I have to agree fully. A locker is no place for a living thing. I'm surprised there are not school rules against it either.

Brenna
brennae is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com