Locker Pet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wilkieam

Aquarium Advice Freak
Okay, so a friend of mine decided recently started looking in getting a betta fish so I read up and gave him as much advice as I could. Today, I discovered that this pet wasn't going to be at home at all-- but in his locker at school. He showed me him today, the betta is in a .5 gallon tank in his locker, backlit by a battery operated light he picked up at Home Depot. Unfortunately, the tank is not cycled, and he bought that bottled betta water which (IMO) is just a waste of money. I inspected the fish (he named him Nicodemus II) and he shows no sign of fin rot or ich, and shows sign of being a real beauty (reds, blues, and purples). I'm really worried the fish won't survive this lifestyle (I love my friend but somehow I don't feel he's the responsible type), so any advice i could pass along to my friend would be appreciative.

I'll post photos of his setup on Monday.

If he's got a light in there, he at least took some things into consideration. If the locker is indoors it should be fine for awhile, but it needs to have ventilation.
if the locker is outdoors then its no bueno and he needs to find a better "hiding spot". Offer to keep it at a friends house maybe?

If he's got a light in there, he at least took some things into consideration. If the locker is indoors it should be fine for awhile, but it needs to have ventilation. if the locker is outdoors then its no bueno and he needs to find a better "hiding spot". Offer to keep it at a friends house maybe?

The locker is indoors and has ventilation slats directly in front of where the tank is. I'm thinking I should get him a thermometer and a small heater, but I don't know what I can find that doesn't need an outlet.

He intends to do two 50% water changes a week (Monday & Friday) and I told him he needs to cut down on feeding (4-5 pellets were floating in the tank when I saw it).

And you cant really cycle a betta tank that small.

Of course you can.... You could cycle a shot glass.

OP. Why does he have a betta in his locker? So he can say 'im cool because i have a betta in my locker'? I dont think hes being very fair. Definitely tell him to cut down on feeding if there were floaters.

Of course you can.... You could cycle a shot glass. OP. Why does he have a betta in his locker? So he can say 'im cool because i have a betta in my locker'? I dont think hes being very fair. Definitely tell him to cut down on feeding if there were floaters.

Not sure why exactly he has a betta in his locker, he's an odd kid. He drives a moped to school, his hair is purple, and is just a kooky art student. Not sure what the thought process was by any means.

Not sure why exactly he has a betta in his locker, he's an odd kid. He drives a moped to school, his hair is purple, and is just a kooky art student. Not sure what the thought process was by any means.

Okay honestly that cracked me up!

Could he possibly fit a 2.5g tank in his locker? Or even a 1g?

Okay honestly that cracked me up! Could he possibly fit a 2.5g tank in his locker? Or even a 1g?

I did the math and he could probably fit a 1 to 1.5 gallon tank if it's under 8 in in height. I'm not sure why he chose such a small one

I don't mean to be the mean one but this is absurd, tell Michelangelo to take the fish HOME. It's not fair to the fish, especially the lack of heat. Or, the opposite, it could cook in that locker. Also I'm sure the janitors clean and spray the hallways, where do you think those fumes are going? Tell your friend to be responsible I get the "cool factor" but it's a living being.

I don't mean to be the mean one but this is absurd, tell Michelangelo to take the fish HOME. It's not fair to the fish, especially the lack of heat. Or, the opposite, it could cook in that locker. Also I'm sure the janitors clean and spray the hallways, where do you think those fumes are going? Tell your friend to be responsible I get the "cool factor" but it's a living being.

Oh believe me, I agree 110%. Unfortunately, I tried to talk him into bringing it home, but he wouldn't listen to me

So having purple hair, driving a moped and being and art student makes you odd?

Sheeesh, glad you can't see my hair or my degrees.

As for the fish, yeah, you do need to talk him out of keeping it in the locker. there's too many things that can go bad.

So having purple hair, driving a moped and being and art student makes you odd? Sheeesh, glad you can't see my hair or my degrees. As for the fish, yeah, you do need to talk him out of keeping it in the locker. there's too many things that can go bad.

There's many layers to my friend that make him odd, those are just some of the few that stand out to those where I live. Not meant to offend anyone.

I certainly agree with all of you guys, I just don't know what to do with this kid.

So having purple hair, driving a moped and being and art student makes you odd?

Sheeesh, glad you can't see my hair or my degrees.

As for the fish, yeah, you do need to talk him out of keeping it in the locker. there's too many things that can go bad.

Brilliant minds often have spunk :)
At lest he didnt invent the Betta Purse

"what to do with this kid"

Dont try to control your classmate. Just tell him positive, educated advice, maybe even buy him a good book on bettas. Look, if the little fish dies, he will learn from his mistakes. He is well intentioned and as far as I can tell, pretty intelligent.

"what to do with this kid"

Dont try to control your classmate. Just tell him positive, educated advice, maybe even buy him a good book on bettas. Look, if the little fish dies, he will learn from his mistakes. He is well intentioned and as far as I can tell, pretty intelligent.

From what you can tell he sounds like he has good intentions and intelligence? im sorry but are we reading different threads, seriously what gave you the impression that a guy who keeps a betta inside a locker without heat or filtration in a half gallon tub has good intentions and intelligence?

"what to do with this kid" Dont try to control your classmate. Just tell him positive, educated advice, maybe even buy him a good book on bettas. Look, if the little fish dies, he will learn from his mistakes. He is well intentioned and as far as I can tell, pretty intelligent.

Look, I'm not trying to "control" him, I know him better than you do and he just sometimes makes poor decisions. I've tried giving him advice but he's dead set on keeping it in his locker, except on long breaks such as winter and spring break. His birthday is coming up, so I think I'll buy him a book and maybe a few things for the fish.

From what you can tell he sounds like he has good intentions and intelligence? im sorry but are we reading different threads, seriously what gave you the impression that a guy who keeps a betta inside a locker without heat or filtration in a half gallon tub has good intentions and intelligence?
He has good intentions, but doesn't always make the best decisions, so she's at least half right.

Why don't you ask him to see if t can be kept in his science class?
I might at least be able to convince him to keep Nicodemus downstairs in the art room, since he spends at least two hours down there during the day and there's better light (the teacher is pretty relaxed, so I think he'd be cool with it). I don't think the science room is a good choice because it's dark and drafty in there, but that might just be a personal opinion.

I actually thought tof running a one gallon tetra cube in my locker with shrimp. Not a beta. But its probably against school code and I couldn't think of a way to do it.

Back
Top Bottom