Looking for advice...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
build sticker is usually found on one of the bottom 4 corners of the tank ,
10 yrs is about the time when the silicone seals start to disintegrate ,
a tank depreciates like a car as it ages it losses value ,
a brand new 90g retails for $298.+tax Stand is aprox another $250.
things you should factor in when discussing price research other tank prices of new tanks of the size your looking at price wise now you have some leverage on discussing price . new comes with a 1 yr warranty against leaks a 10 yr old tank as is no warranty ,
weigh all your options ,
that tank and stand when new was prob about $1200. add 10yrs wear and tear

Last edited:
As I always say it's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. If I had the money I would definitely buy it for 800 but only if it was an excellent shape

I got it from a mom and pop pet shop that's the average price level ,its all about research before you buy , no it's not drilled but it can be if I wanted I prefer a non drilled myself it's all about preference
as matter of fact I still have the receipt
60069-albums14599-picture71021.jpg

Last edited:
One biggie is moving tanks of that size, the twists and uneven lifting can cause breaks in the seal. So the last move could have loosened it and the next move could cause a leak, not tryng to make you paranoid, just to be carfull and test again in an out side area, better almost 200 gallons in the yard than on your floor, dry it off really well and then wait a day maybe.

I am looking for a tank like this, but more for the 400 price, if it is only a few years old then I would be more willing, and offer him 5-600. anyway. Walk in with the cash in your hand let him see it right in front of him, and right before the 1st when rent is due, even better. People gotta pay the bills and payroll. Use all fair advantages you can!

Last edited:
+1 to Autumnsky's post.

Sent from my N9130 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks for all the input. I am going to look at two large tanks in the morning. I think about 150's. I'll look out for all the things that were mentioned above. The Oceanic is a little more than I wanted to pay. I personally think about 250 to 300 is a fair price considering age and condition. People think these tanks are worth two thirds of the new price. I would rather buy new if they want that much.

Thanks for all the input. I am going to look at two large tanks in the morning. I think about 150's. I'll look out for all the things that were mentioned above. The Oceanic is a little more than I wanted to pay. I personally think about 250 to 300 is a fair price considering age and condition. People think these tanks are worth two thirds of the new price. I would rather buy new if they want that much.

I got my 180 bowfront drilled with metal stand for $150. No leaks and I happen to work for a moving company so was able to get it moved professionally for cheap. I wouldn't expect to find that everyday for sure but certainly $500 would get you a 150 gallon plus drilled setup or larger.

Just went and looked at this tank. It is an odd size. It was 6' x 21" x 25". I think it was custom made. It has been sitting for 3 years. It needs a lot of TLC. The glass is like 1/2 inch thick and looks very sturdy. I offered 150 and she said there was one more person coming to look and if they didn't want it I could have it. Basically just a tank and stand. About 163 gallons from what I calculated. IMG_5552.jpgIMG_5553.jpg

Oh there was also a 7' x 3' x 2' tank at the house too. Looked just like this one but HUGE.

Man I don't want that giant tank. I don't have anywhere to put it.

I am going to pick up the tank tomorrow. It is full of base rock (like 200 pounds) and there is like 6 inches of sand in the bottom. I am going to get it all out. I assume the rock and sand is worth keeping if cleaned up properly. I was originally thinking of doing an Angelfish tank but since all that rock and sea sand is in there I am tempted to do African Cichlids. Thoughts? I am going to make a separate thread to post the before/after and progress of the project.

Will follow, have kept cichlids, but they don't get along with my livebearer community!

Sent from my N9130 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Will be making a new thread for the cleanup, build, and set-up for this tank. I will need some advice on the way so please follow along!

Back
Top Bottom