Looking for advice...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

t-bone

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm in the market for an upgrade and came across this Oceanic 175 bowfront at the LFS. Stand and tank needs a little TLC. What would you pay for it? I was gonna set up an angelfish tank with it. It comes with a 55 gallon sump too. I would want to reinforce the stand and probably reseal the tank also. What advice would you give??

IMG_5513.jpg

Check all seams for color age and cracks. any price below $600 is a steal.

It doesn't have the glass lids with it. I wonder if you can order them from anywhere? I think I could get it for about 400 maybe less.

You can have a glass lids made and get plastic elbows or you can order them. $400 is a still

Oceanic was a great tank. The glass is thicker then tanks made today.They are out of business since Central Gardens took them over along with Aqueon...
Possibly[ he says under his breath] an aqueon/All Glass 'versa top' would fit but no guarantee..
If you have a truck to move it offer $250. They'll work you up from there, with + sump and that biggest bows made and sold today are 72g I believe.

If you google that tank you will find that they are still made and cost thousands of dollars

Just Google 175 gallon bowfront fish tank price

Yeah I'm gonna go talk to the owner next week. My wife looked at it and she really likes it. They cracked a piece off the bottom plastic while moving but I don't think it will affect the structural integrity any. I can glue it back and you will barely notice. Oh here is the pump with it. Is it a good one?

IMG_5514.jpg

It will work. I ran the model18 on my 120 and I ran the model24 on my 180.They are both 'a little loud' and will pass heat to the tank. Maybe only a couple degrees everyones set up is different. I ran them both for years and they are pretty good pumps IMO.
I run DC pumps now..Very quiet..

What about leaks and blow outs. Are the bow fronts of this size more prone to leaks? I would make absolutely sure the stand was plumb, level and flat before filling this monster up. I've been reading about this tank and have read about people having problems with bow fronts leaking.

Anyone have any trouble with large bow fronts leaking? Specific tanks like this one?

I have a 75 and never have problems with it leaking.

Anyone have any trouble with large bow fronts leaking? Specific tanks like this one?

I just set up a used 180 bowfront, no leaks so far. I probably should have resealed mine as I bought it on Craigslist but if it ever starts leaking I'll drain and do a complete reseal. Figured if it ain't broke why fix, and I doubt my fixit skills sometimes so I would be super paranoid about my sealing ability. My frame is cracked in several places but doesn't seem to be an issue.

before even making a offer look at the build date of the tank if it's more than 10 yrs wouldn't offer more than 200 , I would also suggest a leak test better it blow out before you purchase it than find out later , because I'm sure they'll be a as is clause on it

Is it an Oceanic? I really like this one at the LFS. Hopefully I can snatch it up this week. It is really a quality built tank. They had it filled for a few weeks to check and said it doesn't leak. I agree if it ain't broke don't fix it yet.....

I'm in the market for an upgrade and came across this Oceanic 175 bowfront at the LFS. Stand and tank needs a little TLC. What would you pay for it? I was gonna set up an angelfish tank with it. It comes with a 55 gallon sump too. I would want to reinforce the stand and probably reseal the tank also. What advice would you give??

View attachment 296388

Looks just like my tank with a nicer stand and canopy. I'd offer $250-400 but I would think anything under $500 would be a great deal. That wood stand and canopy are not that common, with the bowed wood front it makes it a bit harder to build your own nice stand, I'm sure a carpenter would have no issues but I can barely build a solid birdhouse where the corners line upIMG_1398.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1398.JPG
    IMG_1398.JPG
    89.4 KB · Views: 86
Where is the build date sticker on the Oceanic tanks at?

Good question I'd like to know as well. Also curious why 10 years? I would think that the seal is what matters. Isn't 10 year old 1/2" or 3/4inch glass the same as new for the most part assuming it hasn't been compromised by moving or chipped? Obviously everything wears down a little overtime just hard to believe anyone would buy these monster tanks if they didn't last longer than 10 years.

True I would assume the silicone would break down a little faster in salt water. I would think the most common reason tanks leaking is that they are not level or the surface they are sitting is bowed, warped, or lumpy. That would put uneven pressure on the tank causing glass panes to flex and break the silicone loose at the joints. I think the glass would be good for 100 years. Think of all the old houses with original pane windows. That glass is old and still the same as the day it was built.

Back
Top Bottom