Looking for octopus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skae310

Aquarium Advice Freak
So this is a long shot but I figured I could try here as many of you may have some ideas for me. I'm a photographer looking for an octopus or octopus like animal to photograph. I don't think many individuals keep them as I am assuming they are hard to care for, but does anybody know of someone or somewhere (zoo, aquarium, etc) where I could find an octopus? I live in the Rochester, NY but frequently travel to the Pittsburgh, PA area. I know the Pittsburgh zoo has or at least had one, but its nearly impossible to find in the tank let alone get an actual image. Any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks!

I really don't have any suggestions other than maybe calling the area zoos (I'm not very familiar with NY or PA).

I am going to move this to the Aquatic Off Topic forum. You should get more views there.

It's been awhile since I went, but I do remember seeing some at the Mystic Aquarium in Mystic CT before. I think that may be a long ride for you, some four hours or more, I would be happy to go check if they do have any there for you and let you know (great excuse to drag the wife to the aquarium for a day lol)

RW

I know that the New York Aquarium in Brooklyn, NY had this gorgeous red octopus a while back, but then the aquarium had to be renovated after Hurricane Sandy. It is still currently renovating.
Maybe try calling them. I always enjoyed going there, such a shame they lost so much.
EDIT: I just checked what exhibits they have left - they do not have the octopus anymore.
Just checked all the accredited zoos and aquariums in NY state - its not much. If you are willing to travel to Boston - the New England Aquarium has the Giant Pacific Octopus

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom