Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
View Poll Results: Will Loud music in the home stress aquarium fish?
yes 16 40.00%
no 8 20.00%
Dont know 16 40.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-20-2009, 03:34 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to divedeep1689
hmmm

special thanks to melosu58 , roka , thincat,CaptainAhab (and many more who i will list later as i find thier names so i can spell them lol ) for i would not have the tank or the knowledge i have about my tank if not for them.
divedeep1689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 04:05 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

I have noticed that my clown loach is sensitive to bass/vibrations. Any time I get up from the couch and start to walk anywhere in my place the clown loach quickly hides behind some plants or a rock. I have also noticed this when I have my stereo up a little too loud, he will stop where ever he is and it seems like he is listening, and then quickly dart somewhere to hide the next time the bass hits.

That is the only fish I have noticed it with. My angels, guppies, cories, tetras, and kuhli's don't even seem to notice.

Old 07-20-2009, 05:46 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilameba View Post
it can , but just remember that wild fish are way more tough and tolerant to outside conditions,fish in the wild live not as long often enough(except those huge long lived fish that do the opposite in the wild!)

this is my opinion at least
The fish dont live long because there are bigger fish out there.

disease, famine,larger fish are all issues with wild fish longevity.
Old 07-22-2009, 02:41 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteDevil View Post
The fish dont live long because there are bigger fish out there.

disease, famine,larger fish are all issues with wild fish longevity.
i meant that generally, long lived and large growing fish usually live longer and grow larger in the wild than in captivity.
Old 07-22-2009, 02:45 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HN1 View Post
Yes. It absolutely does and has been proven. Their lateral line is used to sense movement and vibration. Playing loud music is like rhythmically tapping the glass.
i agree with this.
Old 07-27-2009, 03:10 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

I agree about heavy bass being stressful to fish. Bass the way that it is used in some music is very unnatural. Over time, this bass would be a significant stress factor to tank inhabitants.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:50 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Speakerman Send a message via AIM to Speakerman Send a message via MSN to Speakerman Send a message via Yahoo to Speakerman
Decibel (Loudness) Comparison Chart

an interesting site if your interested in sound and understanding how measuring sound is determined.

dB or deciBel is the standard measurement for sound. about 3 dB is the noticeable difference in sound preasure levels, an increase of 10dB is ~twice as loud, or a doubling. Respectively an increase in 20dB is ~ 4 times as loud.

Subsequently a noisy office at about 90dB (about like an ocean's waves crashing) is is 4 times quieter than an a loud radio or stereo playing. OR it's about 32 times quieter than a jet engine from 100' away (about 140dB)

Or, if you have an extremely loud stereo like what I used to have in my old truck, I would go to competitions and hit around 148 dB, I've seen some close to 155dB

Basically what I'm getting at is, the ocean, however loud it is, is many many times quieter than what you can subject your household fish to. In my mind I think playing the drums loud or wailin' on the strat or les paul is about like a hurricane crossing over the coral reef.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:31 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Tangs seem like they would be into rock-n-roll, blennies probably more into the blues.
Not sure who would listen to country.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:55 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

I've got a catfish that listens to country.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:17 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

I live in an apartment and the guy below us likes to watch movies with the sound set on deafening. Two weeks ago it was so bad I could watch the water in my tank vibrate from his bass and the fish were none too happy about it.

Tags
loud

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com