loud music and fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Will Loud music in the home stress aquarium fish?

• yes

Votes: 16 40.0%
  • no

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • Dont know

Votes: 16 40.0%

• Total voters

divedeep1689

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey who all believes that extremly loud music in the home will cause any stress on the fish in the aquarium weather saltwater or fresh?

Yes. It absolutely does and has been proven. Their lateral line is used to sense movement and vibration. Playing loud music is like rhythmically tapping the glass.

Yes and No, they sense the vibration and that causes them to react, a constant thumping almost heart rythm will send them into a stress known as "flight", the thumping replicates a predator in the fish world and the prey fish will stress and either be fine but flighty or they will stress themselves to death.

However I have personally done a BRICK/TANK test and well it was in a 150g livewell but anyways dropping a brick into the water( or rock,fish secluded from injury of course) proved nothing at all, the fish didnt even flinch. it was a 7 pound largemouth but according to fish anatomy the lateral line should pick it up. Then size comes into play, a 7# largemouth isnt really prey for much if anything( hence the reason its at 7#)

I'd have to say nature can be pretty loud, waves crashing, storms, rivers running, rain, people.....

haha i can tell where this question came from! think about it like this: are smaller (prey ) fish or larger (predator) fish usually more jumpy even after they "get used to you" for me it is way more the prey fish!

I'd have to say nature can be pretty loud, waves crashing, storms, rivers running, rain, people.....

it can , but just remember that wild fish are way more tough and tolerant to outside conditions,fish in the wild live not as long often enough(except those huge long lived fish that do the opposite in the wild!)

this is my opinion at least

I have noticed that my clown loach is sensitive to bass/vibrations. Any time I get up from the couch and start to walk anywhere in my place the clown loach quickly hides behind some plants or a rock. I have also noticed this when I have my stereo up a little too loud, he will stop where ever he is and it seems like he is listening, and then quickly dart somewhere to hide the next time the bass hits.

That is the only fish I have noticed it with. My angels, guppies, cories, tetras, and kuhli's don't even seem to notice.

it can , but just remember that wild fish are way more tough and tolerant to outside conditions,fish in the wild live not as long often enough(except those huge long lived fish that do the opposite in the wild!)

this is my opinion at least

The fish dont live long because there are bigger fish out there.

disease, famine,larger fish are all issues with wild fish longevity.

The fish dont live long because there are bigger fish out there.

disease, famine,larger fish are all issues with wild fish longevity.

i meant that generally, long lived and large growing fish usually live longer and grow larger in the wild than in captivity.

I agree about heavy bass being stressful to fish. Bass the way that it is used in some music is very unnatural. Over time, this bass would be a significant stress factor to tank inhabitants.

Decibel (Loudness) Comparison Chart

an interesting site if your interested in sound and understanding how measuring sound is determined.

dB or deciBel is the standard measurement for sound. about 3 dB is the noticeable difference in sound preasure levels, an increase of 10dB is ~twice as loud, or a doubling. Respectively an increase in 20dB is ~ 4 times as loud.

Subsequently a noisy office at about 90dB (about like an ocean's waves crashing) is is 4 times quieter than an a loud radio or stereo playing. OR it's about 32 times quieter than a jet engine from 100' away (about 140dB)

Or, if you have an extremely loud stereo like what I used to have in my old truck, I would go to competitions and hit around 148 dB, I've seen some close to 155dB

Basically what I'm getting at is, the ocean, however loud it is, is many many times quieter than what you can subject your household fish to. In my mind I think playing the drums loud or wailin' on the strat or les paul is about like a hurricane crossing over the coral reef. :)

Tangs seem like they would be into rock-n-roll, blennies probably more into the blues.
Not sure who would listen to country.

I live in an apartment and the guy below us likes to watch movies with the sound set on deafening. Two weeks ago it was so bad I could watch the water in my tank vibrate from his bass and the fish were none too happy about it.

Back
Top Bottom