Loyalty to my fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I also want to say when buying a fish your intention should be to raise for life. One of my favorite things is to see if I can raise a fish to its full potential

But I don't get emotionally attached to fish. Fish have as much love for you as an automatic fish feeder. You are the source of food that is why they are happy to see you.

I have had favorite fish that I had to rehome and I was sad to let go. But its not for emotional reasons. It's more like crap I wont be able to find a fish that nice again.

To be fair Caliban and Andy, the fish I rehomed were given to me, not bought. I took them so they wouldn't be euthanized until I could find appropriate homes for them.

You may have misunderstood my point? I am not condeming anyone for rehoming a fish. Heck, things happen that can't be avoided. There IS more to the story tho...
What I was talking about was the what the store's might do with the fish you want to trade in. I have witnessed and been at stores where the policy was to take the fish back but destroy it instead of putting it into the store's system. That might upset some people but that's reality and that does happen. If you ( the general you not the specific you ;) ) are one of these people, I just suggest you be extra careful to what you bring home to your tanks. If you don't believe that happens, I'm telling you, as an insider, that it does. If you want to be blind to that, it's your call. :whistle:

As for the stores themselves, the example I made for not supporting ones that just put your fish directly into their centralized system is that if they do that for your fish, they most likely do that for anyone's fish ( whether you choose to believe it or not) and who knows what those other fish have been exposed to and now the rest of the fish have been exposed to? Once again, you may take the best of care for your fish but that doesn't mean other people do the same. That's all I'm saying. (y)

As for Caliban's comment, I am currently involved with some threads where the intent of some people is to buy more fish to grow out for pairing then return the rest. So people do buy fish with the intention of returning them. I personally, am neither for or against this. That's how some want to keep their pets and it's not my place to say yes or no. Again, me personally, I always keep my "extras" in another tank so if I lose one from a pair, I have extras. (y) In most cases, if having an extra tank is a big issue, breeding the fish might not be the best thing to do as most do require additional tanks. That's all I was bringing out. (y)

Yep. All I was saying that other than those people. I personally don't know anybody who purposely buy fish to return them. Returning them in most cases will be an after though for one reason or another.

Andy is right though. If that one reason or another was because you did not understand the needs of the fish then you are gonna wanna make sure you do a little bit more research before the purchase.

I've done this myself. Bought to dwarf gouramis in a too small tank and ended up having to take one back. It happens. Or it did at least for me.

No one was having a pop at you egg. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Oh I know! No offense was taken I just wanted to clarify my comment in case I came across the wrong way :) And I don't return or trade fish to LFS cause I can't trust any of them around here. They are terrible. The one I do like won't take fish from anyone, but I guess that's fair since I've always gotten good healthy stock from them.
I don't see any problem with rehoming fish if they aren't working in your tank and will work in someone else's who will take good care of them!

Yep. All I was saying that other than those people. I personally don't know anybody who purposely buy fish to return them. Returning them in most cases will be an after though for one reason or another.

Andy is right though. If that one reason or another was because you did not understand the needs of the fish then you are gonna wanna make sure you do a little bit more research before the purchase.

I've done this myself. Bought to dwarf gouramis in a too small tank and ended up having to take one back. It happens. Or it did at least for me.

No one was having a pop at you egg. :)

Oh I know! No offense was taken I just wanted to clarify my comment in case I came across the wrong way :) And I don't return or trade fish to LFS cause I can't trust any of them around here. They are terrible. The one I do like won't take fish from anyone, but I guess that's fair since I've always gotten good healthy stock from them.
I don't see any problem with rehoming fish if they aren't working in your tank and will work in someone else's who will take good care of them!

Great. Whew.... Glad we got that all cleared up :D Moving on...... (y)

I dont think loving a living thing is silly or stupid in any case. I have gotten attached to a house plant though so maybe I am not the best reference. That being said, keep him. He is used to you and your tanks and giving him back will stress him more. He may like the other corys and school with them too.

I have 2 orange rabbit snails I want to evict, but my wife is attached to them and gets very upset if I mention getting rid of them.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I want to get rid of my guppies, the ones I have left are not ones I bred in my old tank so I don't feel bad getting rid of them but they are quite cute. Plus I feel bad taking them from my tank, which I'd say is a quite nice environment for fish, and putting them into clown puke and neon plants

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

I think it bothers me more when it is done on purpose. IE doing a fish in cycle in a tank with the intention of retuning them when the tank is cycled. I did three fish in cycles in my three tanks with the fish that I intended to build the tanks around. One with 6 neons, One with 5 harlequin rasboras, and one with a male betta. All survived and did fine and are what I based each tank occupants on. Just my opinion, But I am not breeding fish. I just have them because I like them and they are part of my pet family along with the two dogs, one cat, and three small parrots. Alison

I have 2 orange rabbit snails I want to evict, but my wife is attached to them and gets very upset if I mention getting rid of them.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

This is an easy one. : "Honey, I need to get those snails out of the tank. They are not good for it. I'll set up another tank so you can keep them." :brows: :lol: :whistle:

Haha! My boyfriend is the one who got me my first tank since I kept saying I wanted one, now he just makes fun of me, in good humor of course, when I keep coming home with things. I only have five tanks...haha! Next one will be the biggie 90 or more!

I know the people at my Lfs and they know exactly what is in my tank and one time I had a platy change genders which threw off my balance and they happily exchanged. It helps if they know where your fish came from and such. I guess you have to trade before becoming attached or just deal with it.

I'll have to ask the lfs. I would of thought it is rare here to take fish back. I know some stores will do it but in the 5 local stores here I rarely see fish that have been returned. Maybe at one some large cichlids. I've always assumed you are stuck with them unless selling on gumtree or something.

It does worry me sometimes when somebody says they will re-home or upgrade tank size down the track. I assume they have done research and will know when the fish is too big for the tank. At work a fond expression is assuming makes an 'a*s out of u & me' but it doesn't seem rocket science.

Still does. It must be just me.

Fishobsessed7

It's doing that for me too

The only time I've returned a fish is with clown loaches because I needed something to eat my mts (snails not syndrome ;) ). I brought in some platies once too because they were fry that grew up.

My LFS puts them right in the tank, but unfortunately they do have diseases (we got a fish with ich once) so that is definitely an issue. But with a lot of contagious diseases, quarantine will decrease the risk of your tank getting infected so we always quarantine our new fish.

Back
Top Bottom