Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-18-2014, 05:18 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Loyalty to my fish?

I've heard it mentioned that you can sometimes trade in or give back fish to your lfs, is that a common thing? What do you guys think about returning fish?
I'm upgrading my tank to give my corys more room and increase their numbers so they are in a proper shoal. But I have one that is a copper cory (I think) which I got because it was all my lfs had and I thought I needed to get something, anything to put with my one albino cory. Anyway, I'm not sure I want 6-10 copper corys, so I have considered seeing if my lfs would take him back. But I'm not sure I have to heart to get rid of him. I'm one of those ridiculous people that gives each of my fish a name and gets all attached to them, considers them part of the family, etc etc. Am I being silly? Should I just ditch the copper cory and get the fish that is more aesthetically pleasing to me? Or will I Love You (that is his name...given to him by my 4 year old) know that I ditched him? Is it unfair to him to just discard him based on looks? Or am I waaay over thinking this because, come on..it's just a fish!?

Old 12-18-2014, 05:35 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have one emerald cory in with 6 albinos. It just ended up that way and I just leave him. If its a fish I havent had long or one my mother purchased and shouldn't have then I have no problem returning it, giving it away etc. If its a fish that has a name and has been with me quite awhile then I keep it because I am a bit attached to it also. Hope this helps.

Brenna
brennae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 05:38 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

I'd keep him personally. I also get attached to my fish!
Old 12-18-2014, 06:08 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have upgraded and can't seem to shake off my dwarf gourami! "Comet" love that Dude! Had him since I started my 20 and moved up to 36

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 12-18-2014, 06:28 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have a mix of Corys, all dwarf to medium size, and they get along great. I worried about my one panda but he seems as happy and healthy as the others. A shoal of Corys don't need to match.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 12-18-2014, 09:16 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Most reputable lfs will take them back. What I wonder is what they do with them. They have no way of knowing what kind of tank they came from. Anybody out there work at a LFS who can tell us?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
Old 12-18-2014, 09:20 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsedogfish View Post
Most reputable lfs will take them back. What I wonder is what they do with them. They have no way of knowing what kind of tank they came from. Anybody out there work at a LFS who can tell us?

I know a little about this, it depends on the store. If your lfs has a closed filtration system. Meaning each tank has it's own filter and system they will take them and put them up for "adoption" for free. If they don't have a closed system and all tanks are running on the same system they can't take your fish it could possibly compromise the entire store. It's a store to store basis.

May the force be with you.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:42 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nshepler View Post
I know a little about this, it depends on the store. If your lfs has a closed filtration system. Meaning each tank has it's own filter and system they will take them and put them up for "adoption" for free. If they don't have a closed system and all tanks are running on the same system they can't take your fish it could possibly compromise the entire store. It's a store to store basis.

May the force be with you.
+1.
Personally, if a store with a centralized system puts your fish directly into their system, I wouldn't buy fish there anymore. They have no idea want that fish came from or what diseases it was exposed to and they are compromising their entire system.
On the other hand, it is also possible that, for customer relations, they may take the fish back and bring it to the back of the store where they will dispose of the fish so as NOT to contaminate their system but please the customer. That might be hard to swallow for some but it happens in many stores.
I suggest, if you are that attached to your fish, accommodate them at home. I also suggest you not buy fish with the intention of returning them at a later date unless the idea of them being destroyed doesn't bother you.
Old 12-19-2014, 12:32 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Just depends on the store. The 2 stores I go to both take fish back. They put them in quarantine tanks which are not attached to the central filtration system. I frequent the stores so often they know me by name, they also know how I keep my tanks so guess they don't have a problem re homing for me.
Old 12-19-2014, 01:21 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsedogfish View Post

My privately owned LFS knows his customers very well. When I was going there regularly he remembered the stocking of my tanks. However, when you take fish in he goes on a case by case basis. If they were coming from one of his regulars like me, he had no qualms about putting them in his display tanks (they all have their own separate filters)

If they came from some random person that bought their fish from pet smart he would stick them in a QT tank for a little while.

It truly depends on the type of LFS. If you have a petsmart as your go to for returning a fish then keep it. If it's a LFS like mine then I would go ahead and trade him in.

Tags
fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com