m4p to mp3?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Clown Monarch

Aquarium Advice FINatic
The wife has been downloading songs to her iTunes software on the computer for $1 each. I was unaware that we weren't getting mp3s, but mp4 format music (which doesn't work on my portable mp3 player), and worse yet, the files are encrypted so you can't use them anywhere but iTunes or an iPod. This is EXTREMELY irritating. It even encodes my personal CDs to m4a format so they still won't work on my player.

What can I do to decode and rip m4p to standard mp3 files?

You've got the option in iTunes to burn an audio CD. Do this. Then, take that audio CD into another (different) CD program. It's an audio CD, and the program will simply see it as that. Rip and convert to MP3. I use CD-RW so I don't waste a CD each time. HTH.

I don't use iTunes, so I'm not sure of their options. You could do a search for "mp4 to mp3" and see all the converters available. I can't vouch for any, but I did see several that were "free to try" or shareware. In the future I would go with the above advice and download to audio cd and then rip it.

I use cdex to rip cd's. You can get it for free here. It's very easy to use and gives excellent results every time (from my experience).

Yep. I've used Easy CD Creator, MP3 maker, and those CD's will even play on my home stereo, and in my car. As long as you select burn an audio CD, it'll be just and only that. Not sure which format it converts to once it's audio, but I've never had a prob. It's a little time consuming, but heck, it works.

Oh, so iTunes doesn't burn just the file to CD, it burns it as an audio CD (which means it's in .WAV format). Makes sense. Thanks CiR.

And thanks for your input again, deli - you're an invaluable tech around here.

There is a option under ITUNES to change the audio encoding from AAC to MP3 when ripping it from CD. I think it is under the importing options in the settings. But here is a link to what I think you are looking for
http://hymn-project.org/

FYI there is no way to do a direct m4p to mp3 conversion since it is encrypted. the only way to do it is the way cirxsi explained, or to re-record it on the fly ( http://www.tunebite.com ). The downside of tunebite is that you have to play every song to convert it, and it isn't flawless. Sometimes it cuts off the beginning of songs, or leaves a long pause.

Your best bet for the highest quality (although tedious) is to burn each one, and then use another program to rip it to an mp3.

Good luck
brent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom