Macro Lenses

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

StripesTheEel

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey everyone,

Im wanting to capture some top notch close up shots.

I have a Canon EOS 350-D, and was wondering if anyone can recommend any good macro lenses?

Thanks!

Matt

I've taken some nice hand-held macro shots with my Canon EF 28-135mm lens. This is my workhorse lens - I use it for everything from macro, to group photos, to portraits. It has the ultrasonic motor for fast quiet autofocus, although I use manual focus whenever in macro mode. It also has image stabilization, which compensates for camera shake when taking hand-held shots. This is a fantastic lens!

I took the butterfly and angelfish shots with this lens.

My true macro lens is a Tamron SP AF Di 180 mm.. This lens takes mind-blowing closeups. However, a tripod and shutter release cable are absolutely required since there is no image stabilization. I find the autofocus completely useless, so I always use manual focus. I haven't had any succcess using this lens with my fish, but it blows my other lens away for macro shots of flowers and bugs.

The greenbottle fly was taken with this lens.

Attachments

• fly.jpg
    fly.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 22
  • angel_132.jpg
    angel_132.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 23
  • bfly1.jpg
    bfly1.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 23
I'm using a tamron 90mm macro, it's 1:1 and it is the best working distance-cost focal range. Anything less than 90-100mm and your overpaying for the working distance you get and anything more and your overpaying, IMO. Probably the best macro in that focal range is the canon 100mm f/2.8 USM macro, it does a little better with autofocus than the competitors (but really by the time that makes a big difference your using manual focus anyway) and it is completly self contained (for example my tamron lens extends as I focus closer, the canon won't). I'm completely happy with my tamron, it's a very sharp lens and it does what I want it to, btw, it is not a di lens, I bought it used for a song....that said, Ido see myself upgrading to the canon lens at some point in the future.

Here are a couple I took with the tamron (hand held, so a bit softer than I would have liked) and a couple of extension tubes last week.

QP_MG_6774.jpg

QP_MG_6766.jpg

Here's a couple with just the tamron, 1:1
_MG_6644.jpg

_MG_6580.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom