Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-22-2010, 09:58 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
Made a poor choice buying this fish tank...

I was bored and looked at some tanks on Craigslist, man are they cheap! I paid almost $200 to set up this 10 gallon tank (bought everything new), but if I had gotten used I could have easily gotten a 50+ gallon tank with light, filter, and heater for that much money

I need to control my impulsive spending. Maybe next year when I move into a bigger apartment I can give this 10 gallon to my sister and buy a bigger tank for myself Or I may be able to convince my parents to get a 100+ gallon tank for the new house they just bought If I do that I'd have to buy a pickup truck first. Hemi engines here I come

agp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:08 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
buying used tends to save a ton most times.

mgamer20o0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:08 PM   #3
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion
used is the only way to go IMO... I paid $250 or so for my 150g which included a fluval canister, lights, stand, heater, and a bunch of other accessories... paid another $25 for another fluval, bought some pfs from meijer for $1.99 a bag, got free rocks (well i traded, but free still) from another member on here, and just got a bunch of free fish too... Craigslist is great, though i haven't really looked on there in several months because of my impulse buys

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:15 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
wait 200 for a 10gal? What'd you buy?
Crepe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:29 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak
Tank - 18.18
Gravel - 12.74
Filter - 21.99
Heater - 20.99
Dechlorinator - 5.69
Test Kit - 21.89
Ammonia - 2.45
Driftwood - 24.39
Thermometer - 2.49
Carbon for filter - 5.99
Hood - 34.23
Plants - 20.20

That is everything not including snails/fishes.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:33 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak
Brand new fish tanks depreciate almost as much as brand new Maseratis.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:09 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak
I might buy a used aquarium - I would be concerned about leakage, but if that were proven to be sound, then I wouldn't have a problem buying used.

I've bought my current stuff new. For my 40 gal. tank, I was able to get it at Petsmart for half price. It's a Marineland Eclipse 3, so it has built in filtration in the hood, plus lights, etc. In hindsight, I would have probably not opted for built-in filtration, because when my filter died, I had to order the parts online and they took ten days to all arrive. I couldn't do a HOB with the hood because of the built in filtration system. So, I had to buy a new, regular hood, and a new HOB filter, blah blah. I wish I had had a knowledgeable aquarist to talk to before purchasing anything! I have made so many mistakes - it's pretty laughable.
|| Julie * Denver, CO * Aquarium n00b since Fall 2009 || It is our choices that show who we really are, far more than our abilities. . . . ||
Twoapennything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 12:23 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak
The only gripe I have about buying used is I tend to avoid buying "complete setups." There's no point in buying a used setup if I'm not going to use the whisper power filter, the hang on heater, or the under gravel filter and end up buying new ones anyway (Submersible heater, aqua clear, etc) and the used equipment just collects dust.

The only steal is when you can buy just the tank itself.

10g - 3 Feeders, 1 Bolivian Ram, 1 Bluegill?
40 Breeder - Eastern Painted
50g Rubbermaid - Mississippi Map
I work at an LFS..
Todd2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com