Made a poor choice buying this fish tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

agp

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was bored and looked at some tanks on Craigslist, man are they cheap! I paid almost $200 to set up this 10 gallon tank (bought everything new), but if I had gotten used I could have easily gotten a 50+ gallon tank with light, filter, and heater for that much money :mad:

I need to control my impulsive spending. Maybe next year when I move into a bigger apartment I can give this 10 gallon to my sister and buy a bigger tank for myself :D Or I may be able to convince my parents to get a 100+ gallon tank for the new house they just bought :D If I do that I'd have to buy a pickup truck first. Hemi engines here I come :cool:

used is the only way to go IMO... I paid $250 or so for my 150g which included a fluval canister, lights, stand, heater, and a bunch of other accessories... paid another $25 for another fluval, bought some pfs from meijer for $1.99 a bag, got free rocks (well i traded, but free still) from another member on here, and just got a bunch of free fish too... Craigslist is great, though i haven't really looked on there in several months because of my impulse buys ;)

Tank - 18.18
Gravel - 12.74
Filter - 21.99
Heater - 20.99
Dechlorinator - 5.69
Test Kit - 21.89
Ammonia - 2.45
Driftwood - 24.39
Thermometer - 2.49
Carbon for filter - 5.99
Hood - 34.23
Plants - 20.20

That is everything not including snails/fishes.

Brand new fish tanks depreciate almost as much as brand new Maseratis.

I might buy a used aquarium - I would be concerned about leakage, but if that were proven to be sound, then I wouldn't have a problem buying used.

I've bought my current stuff new. For my 40 gal. tank, I was able to get it at Petsmart for half price. It's a Marineland Eclipse 3, so it has built in filtration in the hood, plus lights, etc. In hindsight, I would have probably not opted for built-in filtration, because when my filter died, I had to order the parts online and they took ten days to all arrive. I couldn't do a HOB with the hood because of the built in filtration system. So, I had to buy a new, regular hood, and a new HOB filter, blah blah. I wish I had had a knowledgeable aquarist to talk to before purchasing anything! I have made so many mistakes - it's pretty laughable.

The only gripe I have about buying used is I tend to avoid buying "complete setups." There's no point in buying a used setup if I'm not going to use the whisper power filter, the hang on heater, or the under gravel filter and end up buying new ones anyway (Submersible heater, aqua clear, etc) and the used equipment just collects dust.

The only steal is when you can buy just the tank itself.

Back
Top Bottom