Making my own website

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jamal-188

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'd like to make my own website, mainly just simple picstures and link about my aquariums etc.. I'm not sure how to go about doing there or where ot host it. I have microsoft frontpage and can pretty much figure it out but don't know if that's the best or easiest way to go about doing this. I guess I'll also need to host it somewhere. I go to school at Penn State and thought we got some type of web hosting service but am not really sure.

Any ideas/suggestions?

it's not really important at all to have a domain if you are just having a personal site. if you plan on making it public and hoping people find it from yahoo/google and such then yea you will want one. but if you just want it to post on AA or things like that, a domain is completely useless.

you can use any of the free servers. tripod, geocities, etc. you make the site in frontpage (it's as easy as using word), then login to your tripod or geocities account, upload the .html files you made (make sure the main page is called index.html) and then go to your site and voila... you have a webpage!!

if you need more specific details let me know. ohh and as far as having free web space at penn, you most likely do! probably only 5-10 megs, but it's still something. and it won't have advertising on it like the free web servers will. i would call your computing center and ask!

good luck,
-brent

If you want a place to easily orginize photos then you can go with photo hosting that does galleries. It would allow everything except the personalized domain and the text about your tank.

If someone putting ads on your pages is not that big of a deal or potentally slow page loads then the free places are ok. Our hosting service though is as low as $5 a month and you have full control of your site with no ads unless you put them there. And its on a fast server.

OK I do web design as a extra way for money, so here goes.

#1, Aquarium Hosting That JChillin gave you is not a good deal. 5 GB Disk Space, and 75 GB transfer (bandwidth) for $4.95 a month is cheaper than what they have.
www.globat.com

Also, go to Yahoo Buisness for a domain name, they ahve them for $10/year.

www.geocities.com is a free hosting service too, but you will have to have ads on your site.

If you want to support AA and use their hosting go ahead. Otherwise Globats 5 GB Space (All you will ever need) is CHEAP! Right now they also have 1 free year of hosting (And a one time $30 setup fee though, so its actually $30 the first year)

Also, go to Yahoo Buisness for a domain name, they ahve them for $10/year.
GoDaddy.com is cheaper and if you dont' want a ".com" site, go with ".us" or any other, they often run around $5 a year.

Although the site recommended by zacdl is cheaper, I would highly recommend giong through AA--I have and the support is wonderful.

yea, i don't why you would ever recommend NOT supporting AA. a site that we all use every day for FREE. :roll:

it's not like he would ever need 5gb for a small site with a few pics.

GoDaddy.com also has more fees than what they lead on for you to belive...

All the domains I ever purchased I have gotten from godaddy and never once have I paid more than what they claim on their site. Usually 8.95/yr for a .com,.net or less. Sure they try to hit you with a bunch of extras but you can easily say "No Thanks!".

Oh and on the hosting. While we shoot for affordable plans we by no means intend to compeat with those bargen basement places that slap thousands of sites on a server just to make a profit at super low prices. We are offering hosting on a server that runs a few of our other pet advice sites and the hosting is just a way to help cover the $300/month server costs we incur.

GoDaddy has taxes or something, or setup fees, cant remember but it was something like $15 or something when all said and done.

Also, those cheaper domain places try to register (and most of the time do) the domain in their name, so changing stuff (EX if you host with them as well) is difficult.

I've just registered a site with godaddy less than a month ago. there were no extra charges or "hidden fees". They certainly offer a number of other "options" for additional charges but you are by no means required to use them. And the domain is registered under your name (unless you go with their hidden registration by _choice_)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom