Male or female?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

agaul23

Aquarium Advice Regular
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394182061.637798.jpg
Hi, can anyone tell is this is a female or male platy for me please. I wondering because I got myself excited to think its a female that may be pregnant, it's looking kind of plumper than the others. Or I could be mistaken and it's just a larger fish than the rest. Any insight is much appreciated :)

Can platies of different colours breed together? I hav one that's fins are yellow-e ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394242475.472804.jpgand has the 3 black dots at the end of its body. I think it's a female that got mixed up in the other colour platies I got a while ago

This will help

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1394246756439.jpg
    1394246756439.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 85
Thanks a lot, had a good look at them all swimming around, I think I've got about 3 or 4 female in the bunch :)

Can platies of different colours breed together? I hav one that's fins are yellow-e View attachment 226467and has the 3 black dots at the end of its body. I think it's a female that got mixed up in the other colour platies I got a while ago

Yes, different color platies can cross and the platy with three dots on the back fin is a Mickey Mouse platy. Also good luck with the female maybe she will deliver fry!

Yes, different color platies can cross and the platy with three dots on the back fin is a Mickey Mouse platy. Also good luck with the female maybe she will deliver fry!

thanks for the info. Also wondering, do platies not give birth as often as guppies? Because I haven't seen any growth in belly size in any of the platy females, but the guppy females are very visibly pregnant.

Its a female as stated above but the females are plumper than the males it may not be pregnant but then again if you have males it either is or will be soon

Back
Top Bottom