Marine Biology Degree

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmay33

Aquarium Advice Addict
Statistics say that the average college student (not all) changes their major 8 times. Apparently I'm average because I've had a hard time knowing where I'm going. I've always been very passionate about agriculture, having spent my childhood raising livestock and actively involved in FFA and 4-H programs. I always thought I wanted to be an Agriculture Science teacher, but I am suddenly not too crazy about it. My passion for certain things has made me consider going into law school and ultimately becoming a lobbyist. I've also wanted to be an occupational therapist, entrepreneur, the list goes on and on. But I'm running out of basics to take and I have to pick something soon. My family insists I look into marine biology, so that is what I'm doing. I've read that marine biology is a graduate degree and I would have to get a biology degree first and then move to a school on the coast for the marine biology program.

So here are some of my questions:

What are my options in the field of marine biology? What jobs are there to be had? What limitations are there? Any marine biologists out there with any advice?

Thanks for reading my novel and thanks for the advice in advance!

I'm no marine biologist but I have been looking into getting a degree in that field also and I've found most jobs are probably from universities or conservation sites and zoos if your lucky the gov or private companies will hire you also for other purposes
You may want to do more research at home to make sure you could do this

Statistics say that the average college student (not all) changes their major 8 times. Apparently I'm average because I've had a hard time knowing where I'm going. I've always been very passionate about agriculture, having spent my childhood raising livestock and actively involved in FFA and 4-H programs. I always thought I wanted to be an Agriculture Science teacher, but I am suddenly not too crazy about it. My passion for certain things has made me consider going into law school and ultimately becoming a lobbyist. I've also wanted to be an occupational therapist, entrepreneur, the list goes on and on. But I'm running out of basics to take and I have to pick something soon. My family insists I look into marine biology, so that is what I'm doing. I've read that marine biology is a graduate degree and I would have to get a biology degree first and then move to a school on the coast for the marine biology program.

So here are some of my questions:

What are my options in the field of marine biology? What jobs are there to be had? What limitations arebut there? Any marine biologists out there with any advice?

Thanks for reading my novel and thanks for the advice in advance!

This is pretty much all that I have ever wanted to do my whole life. But now I am 23 years old, I am engaged, and I have a daughter. I have a really good paying job and a very nice apartments/ townhouse. As I get older I realize I can't just up and move away to a college. I care about my family too much. I love them more than anything. But I also love taking care of Fish and learning about them everyday very much as well. So I have been thinking about instead of getting a degree in marine biology I could get one in freshwater biology. I think that would be a very incredible accomplishment for me to have done in my life time. Just think about it. Maybe it isn't for you, but it sure does sound nice instead of getting up every morning and working on a farm like i do now.

Back
Top Bottom