Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-06-2005, 10:03 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

meat slicers and me... ouch

so heres my story for the week, i work in a restraunt and i was slicing some meat, well i do this practically every day, and i do it the same way, so yesterday i was cleaning the slicer, towel round hand and all that jazz, but i guess it slipped off and i caught my finger on the blade, i took off practially the whole nail and a few layers of skin, ive got like the two very edges left of nail, pretty fun,

i sat there and bled for an hour and a half, it sorta stopped so i wrapped up and finished the last half hour of work, got home redid the soaked bandages and went to work at the fish store, its sore but ill live, not bleeding anymore, ill tell you though, its a whole new kinda pain for me to lose that much nail, its gonna be a long time comign when it finally grows out, what a day, its sore but advil dulls the throbbing pains, just thought id share love to tell stories ya know

Old 04-06-2005, 10:15 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to mitche8359
Reminds me of Wendy's chili... hope you get feeling better.

55 gal fresh - planted 2wpg ~ Eheim eco filter ~ south american theme
java moss - misc anubia - amazon sword - Red rubin sword - tennellus chain swords
4 ottos, 1 pleco, 3 high fin white tetras, 3 Black Phantom Tetras, 1 high fin black tetra, 1 black tetra, 2 diamond tetras, 3 yoyos

Join the Ohio Regional Forum and share information with local enthusiasts
Vote for Aquarium Advice Today
Old 04-06-2005, 10:45 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

OMG!!! That sucks! Keep it really clean. You don't want infection on top of that. I would go to the doctor if I were you. L&I should take care of any bills because it happened at work. Hope it heals quick!
Old 04-06-2005, 10:55 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

yeah, my moms isfreinds with a nurse, she said it actually looked good today, just to keep it protected but let it air every now and then to heal faster, hurts when i bump stuff, but thats gonna be the worst of it hopefully
Old 04-06-2005, 11:09 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to SerLunchbox Send a message via AIM to SerLunchbox Send a message via MSN to SerLunchbox Send a message via Yahoo to SerLunchbox
you should have went to the doctor ... get a tetnis shot and since you were clicing meat, who knows what kind of infections could have been transmitted. Trust me ... i know the desire to get back to work.

I work in a professional kitchen and the last time i seriously sliced my fingers, well, i was chopping chives and took off the tip of my finger plus part of the nail. So what happened after that is i got it bandaged MAJORLY and finished working (the end of the shift was 5 hours after that). So it also took another 3 hours AFTER i got to go home ... and then it was another 3 hours of waiting time at the hospital. lets just say, tetnis was given plus multiple stitches.

Never say you are ok cause you never really know.

Tankless ... for now ... until i find what i really want (and what the wife lets me get!)
Old 04-06-2005, 11:20 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to lmw80 Send a message via MSN to lmw80 Send a message via Yahoo to lmw80
just a side note - I would NOT put that hand in an aquarium until it's healed....

Aquariums are like jello - there's always room for more.
Old 04-07-2005, 10:40 AM   #7
cJw
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I got a good slice on two of my fingers years ago cleaning a meat slicer; I couldn't believe how easily it cut my hand; I didn't really know it until I saw the blood. Being the trooper that I am I wrapped it up and mopped the floor. :d

Those blade can be very nasty!
6 gold barbs
3 peppered cory cats
1 'maldito' cory cats=
1 yoyo loach
1 clown pleco
6 ghost shrimp

There are no coincidences.
Old 04-07-2005, 12:09 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to deli_conker
I have tons of horror stories from my youth working in restaurants.

I'm not sure which of these two is dumber...

a) Guy tries to slice a tomato using a meat slicer, but not using the guide. He does it while holding the tomato in his hand. I remember the sound; ZZZinggg!!! Blood up the wall about 4 feet (that blade rotates very fast). I went to get a towel for him. When I returned he was in shock, sitting/hiding under the table holding his finger.

b) Same place, another guy gets high on his cigarette break. Decides that a knife is the best way to seperate hamburgers that are frozen together. Needless to say, it's not. He buried the knife about a quarter inch deep over the entire width of his palm.

Industrial accidents are far worse though. I won't go into what I've seen there.
Old 04-07-2005, 12:14 PM   #9
cJw
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Industrial accidents are far worse though. I won't go into what I've seen there.
K, thx. :|
6 gold barbs
3 peppered cory cats
1 'maldito' cory cats=
1 yoyo loach
1 clown pleco
6 ghost shrimp

There are no coincidences.
Old 04-07-2005, 01:22 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to flipz
the posters and stuff that they put up to raise awareness on industrial accidents can be quite graphic. 8O

Tags
eat

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com