Members who have done RAOKs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharAsh

Aquarium Advice Regular
Okay so I saw that a fellow member is having some difficulty it it got me thinking, so I decided to start this thread to seek some answers.

When I did a RAOK I did not report it for tax purposes because I thought if you made no profit it was fine. This could very well be the wrong thing to do which is why I'm asking, at the time this is just what came up through research because it was considered an online garage sale transaction.

So what do you guys do when offering a RAOK (buyer just pays shipping & handling)? Do you make the buyer pay as a gift (this is what members have asked of me) or goods & services?

If you do have to report it, do you report it on a special section/form to show that no profit was made so that you don't get taxed?

Receiving cost for shipping an item is not income, so not sure why it would need to be reported.

Per PayPal's policies, it is not a gift, however.

Thanks for the reply, I agree which is why I didn't report my RAOK. So when receiving payment for shipping, accepting it as gift or goods & services is "technically" okay?

Any other opinions are welcomed.

Unless you are doing this constantly it isn't going to matter either way. But somebody sending you money to cover shipping doesn't meet the criteria of a "gift" according to PayPal.

Nice to know about the gift option, thanks for sharing.

Back
Top Bottom