Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-14-2005, 08:35 AM   #51
cJw
Aquarium Advice FINatic

imo, this just proves that with enough money, you really can get away with just about anything you want in this country.

Regardless of his acquittal, I doubt anyone's children are going to be visiting Neverland anytime soon, so there's that, at least. :|

6 gold barbs
3 peppered cory cats
1 'maldito' cory cats=
1 yoyo loach
1 clown pleco
6 ghost shrimp

There are no coincidences.
Old 06-14-2005, 08:39 AM   #52
cJw
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefrunner69
Quote:
"not guilty," he was not declared "innocent."
If Jesus Christ were tried in our court system he would not be declared innocent either....

Ok, so I didn't read the whole thread before I posted the above. It doesn't relate to this reply, but regardless.

Anyway - I don't understand this comment, other than inciting a debate or making a personal attack. Please help me see how this wasn't such?

Am I missing something obvious here? What would Jesus be tried for?

:edit:

If this gets this thread closed, feel free to delete this post to continue the MJ conversation. (I missed that post first time thru)

:/edit:

6 gold barbs
3 peppered cory cats
1 'maldito' cory cats=
1 yoyo loach
1 clown pleco
6 ghost shrimp

There are no coincidences.
Old 06-14-2005, 08:43 AM   #53
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I think what RR meant is that our system does not have the authority to declare anyone, even Jesus Christ, innocent. The best (or worst, depending on your viewpoint) we can hope for is that the jury declare someone "not guilty."

Quote:
Regardless of his acquittal, I doubt anyone's children are going to be visiting Neverland anytime soon, so there's that, at least.

I only hope you're right. I'm not holding my breath, though.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of Liberty -JFK
Old 06-14-2005, 08:45 AM   #54
Aquarium Advice Addict

He used the name of Jesus as a reference. If this were to be offensive I think I would have been offended, I wasnt. What I gathered from the comment is that we all know that Jesus was innocent, yet today in our justice system, he would have been found guilty. At least that's what I got from it.

Anyway back to Jackson..(Grabs hat, does a o360 spin, shouts wooo, and grabs..nevermind)
Old 06-14-2005, 08:56 AM   #55
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by revhtree
Anyway back to Jackson..(Grabs hat, does a o360 spin, shouts wooo, and grabs..nevermind)

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of Liberty -JFK
Old 06-14-2005, 09:03 AM   #56
AA Team Emeritus

Several facts that are always good to mention:

1. For some reason, American's love to tear down celebrities.
2. Celebrities feel that they are above reproach (see above on how to get even).
3. When a celebrity runs afoul of the law, whether or not the charges could stand up to scrutiny in a court room, the media frenzy makes it extremely difficult to have a "fair" trial for either side (defense and prosecution).
4. We will hear the opinions of experts in the field, who serve no more purpose than to further confuse the issues. These pundits are paid by the networks, no matter what they try to tell us.
5. Jackson was charged with the same thing in 1993. The case never went to criminal court. It went to civil court and an out of court setllement was reached. That was 12 years ago.
6. He was interviewed and admitted that he will sleep with these children.
7. The "label" now being firmly attached...people are still sending their children to Neverland??? Is it because of the "Celebrity" status of Neverland? Would you send your child to the home of someone who is alleged to be a child molester?? In good conscience? Forgive me for saying so, but that is the most frightening part of this whole episode. Anyone who would subject their child to this risk is not putting the child's best interest forward.
8. Pay close attention to the impending civil case. Better still, if you have the 1993 case recorded, just play that. The outcome will be the same.

*We continue with our regularily scheduled MJ discussion.*
Old 06-14-2005, 09:27 AM   #57
Aquarium Advice Addict

whether you like MJ or not, whether you think he did it or not you need to remember...he was found "not guilty" as opposed to "innocent". No one can be found innocent in our justice system. You are either found guilty or not guilty. It actually really has nothing to do with the fact that he committed a crime or not. It has to do with the prosecution proving the case, that is it. If the prosecution proves the case beyond a shadow of a doubt...guilty. If they fumble around (as in the MJ trial) and can not prove their case...not guilty. The defense did not prove MJ was innocent, that is not their job. The prosecution did not prove he was guilty. That was their job. We all had to rely on pre-conceived notions and little bits of info provided by a bias media to make up our minds. I am sure there was much more going on that we will never know. Out justice system worked as designed. This time in MJ's favor
Old 06-14-2005, 10:46 AM   #58
AA Team Emeritus

You hit the nail on the head, Lando. The actual charges (which were not related to whether he is creepy and weird or not but were related to attempted "kidnapping" and giving a child "an intoxicating agent" among other things) were very difficult to prove.

If he did not have a problem controlling his need be very close to children he would have never permitted another child to enter his home after the first charges 12 years ago - he would not have wanted to go through that again.

Now we will have to see if he continues to invite kids to his house, and if parents continue to allow this 8O
Old 06-14-2005, 11:01 AM   #59
Aquarium Advice Addict

For those of you who haven't read this......
The mother sounds like a real winner.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8209181/?GT1=6657
Old 06-14-2005, 02:05 PM   #60
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Quote:
As far as this case goes, I don't know what evidance was out there during the trial

Quote:
but IMO the guy is guilty of doing inapropriate things to children from things i have read and heard before.

LOL, contradiction in one paragraph....
What i meant was, like a juror came out and said after the trial, was that no matter if the evidance didnt prove that he did it beyond a resonable doubt, IMO he has molested children before, weither he did it to this one or not

Quote:
Quote:
So if we want people to be innocent until proven guilty in this country we would protect the identity of the accused as well as the accuser.

I'm sure we would do just that, if your will to give up just a few of the freedoms our forefathers felt were essential when building this country and writing the bill of rights...

How is saying "A local Sprinfielf man" instead of "Homer Simpson from 17whatever Evergreen Terrace" giving up an essential freedom in the bill of rights? If everyone is innocent until proven guilty, then Homer in my case is innocent and shouldnt his rights be protected as well? If you feel this is giving up essential freedoms I would love to hear what you think of the patriot act

Quote:
7. The "label" now being firmly attached...people are still sending their children to Neverland??? Is it because of the "Celebrity" status of Neverland? Would you send your child to the home of someone who is alleged to be a child molester?? In good conscience? Forgive me for saying so, but that is the most frightening part of this whole episode. Anyone who would subject their child to this risk is not putting the child's best interest forward.
I couldn't agree mor ewith that...I coldn't see how a parent could put there child in a situation where there could even be a slight posability that something could happen. But, like after 1993, parents will do it agian. Hopefully, like his lawyers have said, he wont ever leave the door open to speculation about molestation again because he wont put himself, and mainly the children, in that enviornment and in his bedroom

Closed Thread

Tags
ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com