Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-20-2004, 06:01 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok…here’s Part 1 of my tale: last June I restarted my 10g tank after a sad and abrupt end to my first set up (that’s a whole other story). Anyway I purchased 2 Platys (1 sunset fire, 1 mickey mouse) because I thought they were pretty….I must admit I knew nothing much about them. About 2 weeks later my husband was watching the tank and saw a bit of orange “fly” right in front of his nose….it was a baby! (I didn’t know fish could be born without eggs!) We were delighted, but we weren’t sure which fish was the mommy (I didn’t know how to tell the gender back then). Unfortunately the Mickey Mouse platy was found dead the next morning…so I assumed that it was the mommy and had too traumatic a delivery. I knew I needed to separate the remaining adult from the baby so I bought a 2g tank. I tried to catch baby but it was way too fast and tiny for the net…I decided to catch the remaining adult and put it in the small tank. So I had a tiny baby in the 10g and a restless adult in the 2g. Fast forward to August…my baby had grown nice and fat and big enough not to be eaten, so I moved the adult back in the 10g tank. (this is where Part 2 comes in – another day). The adult and “junior” got along great! Well…not too long after, I was doing a water change and saw a bit of color coming from the vicinity of one of the under-gravel filter tubes. At first I thought one of my fish had swam in front of it….but then I saw it again! I kept my eyes peeled – and what I saw next totally astounded me. There was a Mickey Mouse fish swimming in my under-gravel filter tube!!! He was good sized (3/4 of an inch) which leads me to think he must have been at least 2 or 3 months old (although he was very flat). Fortunately the tube was two pieces, so I just took off the top piece and the little guy swam up and out into the tank. I still don’t know exactly what happened but he obviously lived in the under-gravel filter since birth---I just don’t know how he got there. The filter is slightly smaller than the tank so there’s a ¼ inch edge all the way around. He may have burrowed down as a baby and slipped under the filter – growing up on excess food that made its way below the gravel – but that’s just a guess. I’m still not sure if my original adult Mickey Mouse was female or male. (it turns out that the sunset fire Platy is definitely female – but that’s Part 2). Now my rescued “Mickey” is a well rounded and very spunky male who is responsible for the second generation of fry I worry about in my 46g tank.

1 Pleco ("Plato")
1 Oto

10g
Ivory Snail ("Speedy")
Old 04-20-2004, 08:39 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Great story, smallfry!

I had a male betta that lived through a few things including almost being ripped fin from fin by a female betta. However, I have a better story about him: When we first got him, I had no clue I put him in a heavy vase on the table. Knowing this was not to be his permanent home, I left him on the table while I thought about things. Before bed, I covered the vase with a stocking, so the cats would leave him alone. The next morning, the stocking was half off the vase, which was tipped over and water was every where. I did not see the betta, but the stocking was still attached to the vase. I ran into the bedroom and woke my fiance and told him the betta was gone. I stayed in the bedroom while he checked things out. Next thing I hear is, "He's right here!" WHAT!?!? It turns out, the betta was caught in the wet stocking and was alive and well.
He got a new home after that. Darn cats

Old 04-21-2004, 12:24 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Do you still have the male betta? 8O
Old 04-21-2004, 02:34 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

He had a chronic fin rot problem and we put him down before we moved. It was a two day move in the dead of winter from mid Idaho to Calgary and there was no room for ill fish
He was with me for a long while, and I miss him.

Old 04-21-2004, 04:11 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Oh...I'm sorry

1 Pleco ("Plato")
1 Oto

10g
Ivory Snail ("Speedy")
Closed Thread

Tags
weir

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com