Missing Zebra Danio

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mickeyrom

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 40 gallon tank with 2 guppies ,2 Cories, 3 neons and the missing Zebra. Could they have eaten him so fast? He was only missing for one or two days. :ermm:

How big was he? And you're talking about Danios right?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Aquarium Advice mobile app

How big was he? And you're talking about Danios right?

He was normal sized adult Zebra Danio, maybe 2 inches. I looked all around the tank to see if he jumped out, but found nothing.

Then no one could have eaten him, unless there are Goldfish. My Goldfish ate my Otto and since then I've gotten Plecos.
I'm actually clueless as to where he could've gone. How did you know he was gone?

Is there any place he could hide?

Did he get stuck under the gravel? If you have one if those things that go under that gravel, plastic plates with holes in them. My Gourami managed to swim through a pipe under the gravel. Don't know how....

That's all I can offer for now.

No Golfish, just the fish I mentioned, and they are all smaller than he was. He is not in or under the decorations and I do not have an under gravel filter. I know he is gone , just because I can't find him, LOL. Not so many fish that it's hard to notice. Currently there are 7 and it's a pretty big tank. Thanks for the reply.

Man... Oh these are what I mean by the things with holes in them LOL!
I used to have one in my 30 gallon, but it didn't really do anything and I took it out.

That's also how my Gourami got stuck under the gravel. There are pipe that you can put on the pipe things and somehow a thin flat fish managed to get itself stick through that thing...

My grandpa told me it was for storing oxygen once you fill the tank but I didn't see none down there. I don't actually know it's purpose. Maybe it's for separating soil from gravel... Who knows. ??

Attachments

• 1469734893349.jpg
    1469734893349.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 73
I would guess he jumped . They are fast swimmers and known jumpers . Look everywhere around the tank you think he might have jumped , then look where it is impossible for him to have jumped...lol

He could be in the hood.... If there's a narrow space between the lights and the plastic cover....

Man... Oh these are what I mean by the things with holes in them LOL!
I used to have one in my 30 gallon, but it didn't really do anything and I took it out.

That's also how my Gourami got stuck under the gravel. There are pipe that you can put on the pipe things and somehow a thin flat fish managed to get itself stick through that thing...

My grandpa told me it was for storing oxygen once you fill the tank but I didn't see none down there. I don't actually know it's purpose. Maybe it's for separating soil from gravel... Who knows. ??

I have used under gravel filters when I was stationed in England, but I doubt that these were as efficient as the ones we use these days.

My guess is it died of natural causes, and was afterwards eaten by the others.
does this tank have a canopy (lid)?
also, you have some stocking issues if you'd like to discuss... :)

My guess is it died of natural causes, and was afterwards eaten by the others.
does this tank have a canopy (lid)?
also, you have some stocking issues if you'd like to discuss... :)

I hope that's what happened. I checked the ammonia level just in case, and it was 0, so it's unlikely that he is rotting somewhere.
About the stocking level, I know this tank could hold a lot more. I also know about neons and Cories liking to shoal. I have no plans to add any more as one water change per week is enough for me. More fish, more water to replace.

BTW, no canopy, but does have a glass cover. there is some open space where the filters are. I have two, and they need a little space so the water does not hit the glass.

Man, I hope that's what happened too. It would suck to die by drying out on a carpet... I like Danios and their patterns.

Man, I hope that's what happened too. It would suck to die by drying out on a carpet... I like Danios and their patterns.

I never have seen him jump, but I may lower the water level so it will be more difficult for anyone else to jump out. It does not look as good though, does it, if the water line is 3 in below the top frame on the tank. :ermm:

Yeah that does look bad.

If he died of natural causes, that is definitely enough time for the other fish to have eaten his body. Fish will chow down on a dead with surprising speed. There is certainly a possibilty he jumped or got up into the hood or something. But, I have honestly lost a good amount of fish over the years where I never found a body. If the body gets eaten even partially you will not likely find remains of a fish that small.

Yeah. One day I came home and couldn't find any of my Ottos. My Goldfish probably ate them. I had two. Stupid Goldfish... ?

If he died of natural causes, that is definitely enough time for the other fish to have eaten his body. Fish will chow down on a dead with surprising speed. There is certainly a possibilty he jumped or got up into the hood or something. But, I have honestly lost a good amount of fish over the years where I never found a body. If the body gets eaten even partially you will not likely find remains of a fish that small.
I hope you're right, of course at this point its does not matter. He was the last survivor of several ZDs we had. We also have a 16 year old dog. Pets just don't live long enough.

I found my Zebra Danio this morning, and quite dead it is. He did jump out, and he was under the extension cord cable which hid him completely. I have lowered the water level to hopefully keep the rest from jumping out. I wonder how high they can jump.:facepalm: Thanks for your interest.

On another subject, are there any fish that would be a good companion to a male Betta Splendens? I have one in a 10 gal tank, and it looks lonely.:huh:

Back
Top Bottom