More male than female aquarists?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What gender are you?

• Female - Freshwater Only

Votes: 28 24.8%
  • Female - Saltwater Only

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Female - Freshwater and Saltwater

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • Male - Freshwater Only

Votes: 37 32.7%
  • Male - Saltwater Only

Votes: 22 19.5%
  • Male - Saltwater and Freshwater

Votes: 11 9.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think maybe it's equal in who owns aquariums, but maybe men are the ones who join forums to wonder how they can beef something up or make it bigger? lol

Yes, but the women join because it's a social medium on a subject they already enjoy. I have to say I'm still impressed by the heterogeneous audience that this hobby has. Mainly because it is a hobby and not just a pet or an ornament. Keeping fish successfully (even astoundingly from the pictures I've seen here) takes more than feeding a cat or walking a dog. It's a complex activity that requires attention to detail. Just about any other activity like it ends up attracting men or women, very rarely both.

It's a complex activity that requires attention to detail. Just about any other activity like it ends up attracting men or women, very rarely both.
I think the draw for men is the technical aspect of it. Adjusting things that you can't necessarily see to make life flourish, and playing with the harware, and the DIY stuff. But the artistic side of it is probably what draws more women, with the beauty of the tank layouts and the colors of plants and fish, along with the corals and other inverts, along with the miracle of life itself. It has aspects of hobbies that are traditionally male (like cars) or female (like sewing) mixed into one activity. It's also not overly messy or dirty, and still can require some "manly" heavy lifting at times.

I got into it because I like the color of SW fish and I enjoy a lot of them when I SCUBA.

I have to say I'm still impressed by the heterogeneous audience that this hobby has...Just about any other activity like it ends up attracting men or women, very rarely both.

That's nice to hear! Maybe that's one of the reasons that I've been completely taken in by it...I tend to like activities that attract a variety of people.

On this forum, there alot of females, but there are other forums I visit that are probably half/half (male and female).

I do see alot more guys who have sw tanks (especially reefs).

I'm a female freshie for now, but I plan to have a reef eventually. :)

The other 2 australian-based forums I semi-frequently visit seem to hav attracted more males than females (or active participants anyway).

I don't know if that's just my perception here and I have no actual evidence to back that up. It just seems that way.

AA "appears" pretty even, IMO.

I got into it because I like the color of SW fish and...

I'm with you. I really like the colors and patterns on SW fish. The corals are great as well. I don't like having anything dull in my tank.

male here, and for now FW only

am really proud to see that the community is both male and female, i guess it would be WAY less fun if it'd be only male or only female.

i bet the best tank would be one supervised by a female and kept by a male.

i am female too - but i think your scientific method is a bit off. the title is going to catch the attention of more females than males, and therefore your numbers will be biased :p

The majority of fish-keepers I know in person are female, despite the fact that most of my friends are men. The only three people I know who keep reef in person, are female. My mother specializes in reef and salt tanks as well as cichlids and cat fish.

I breed bettas, specialize in killies and freshwater community, but also keep saltwater tank though I'm not as salt savvy as my mother is.

Online, I'd say it varies from forum to forum.

i am female too - but i think your scientific method is a bit off. the title is going to catch the attention of more females than males, and therefore your numbers will be biased :p

Oh good point! I hadn't thought of that. Well, it's funny because I didn't initially intend for this thread to be a poll. I read some stuff online saying that there were more men aqaurists, and I was wondering what AA members thought about that.

should be an option for planted for those with the gardening gene personally I dont have room for a sw and considering how much time and effort I am putting into my FW planted I dont have the energy or funds. Of course I do have the pond out back during the summer is even more work than the tank (since it freezes over all winter it really clumps the maintenance time all summer.... and people wonder why we dont have a lawn? Female here BTW

Back
Top Bottom