mosquito larvae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigbanker

Aquarium Advice Addict
I live in the south and after it rains any water left standing becomes a possible home to mosquito larvae...

my grandmother collects rain water in large drums to water her gardens. Today while doing that for her I noticed all the babies swimming about and contemplated feeding them to my fish. Has anyone ever done this before? Why or why not? What was or is the possible outcome?

as long as there are no chemicals/contaminants in the water it should be fine

Just to add, I believe some misquitos may carry parasites that may infect the fish? I know thats one of the reasons some people don't do it. Thats just second hand information though, not sure how accurate it is.

Just to add, I believe some misquitos may carry parasites that may infect the fish? I know thats one of the reasons some people don't do it. Thats just second hand information though, not sure how accurate it is.
some carry west nile,but i havent heard of any others,and unless youve had an outbreak i think youll be ok

I did a bit more research and found a lot of people have done it without any ill effects. They recommended rinsing them again in some clean water after collecting them.

Good to know. I can't seem to find the probability of introducing a parasite though.

What easier things do you grow/feed?

Back
Top Bottom