Most annoying things in fish keeping!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
+1 the manager at my petco has this in their 45g, it was setup 4 months ago...

Giant black volitan lion
Really small ich infested blue tang
3 yellow tangs
Long horned cowfish
Box fish
1 maroon clown
Porcupine puffer

The good thing about fish stores like that is that they are usually destined to go out of business

The good thing about fish stores like that is that they are usually destined to go out of business

Oh and theres more, they showed me a vid of their tank and had much much more! Thats all i remember. Also has this:
1 sebae anemones
2 BTA
1 condy nem

All look horible and their running t8 stock lights.

After getting back into fish keeping after my daughter brought home glofish, I've gone from a 20, then added wifes 10 turtle tank, which is now a 40, so the 10 houses my breeding GBR's, a 55 in my den for my Africans, and now Santa Brought me 125 for the living room that Mrs. Clause wants Discus in because "their pretty". Heaven help me, Discus are like growing good roses. It's not a hobby, it's a part time job lol.

My 110 split a seam! Came home from visiting with my family and had about 60-70 gallons of water in my floor. CARPETS OF CORSE! Has taken about 8 hours with fans and carpet cleaner to get all the water up. Uuuggggghhhh!!

since only 60 or 70 gal were lost did any of your livestock survive ?
that defiantly sucks though not a great thing to come home too

Yes fortunatly all stock survived. Also very fortunate that I have 3 other salty tanks that all stock could be moved to. All fish corals and live rock were moved split between my 60 gal and a 30 gal

Idk if this has already been said but going to a friends house and see a goldfish in a bowl or a betta in an vase

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Idk if this has already been said but going to a friends house and see a goldfish in a bowl or a betta in an vase

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Yeah thats always a tough one because "nobody likes a know it all". I try to only offer information if they ask and ill usually like show a picture of my tank or my bettas 5 gallon planted, heated, filtered home and kinda just casually mention how I do water changes. .... etc.

Kinda like this. ..
Friend says "oh you like fish? I have fish too, check out my betta in this bowl "....

I say "oh neat, check out my tank and here's my bettas 5 gallon tank. He really likes my gentle filter and I keep my heater set at 80 because hes so mich more active than when I had it set at 76. And he really seems to perk up after a weekly water change".

Open conversation they are like "I didn't know they need all that..." and then im like "well they can survive in a bowl but you could survive in a port a potty too..."

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I just experienced a VERY frustrating and annoying part of this hobby. I had a newer fish keeper come in AA and ask what kind of fish he had and if it was a brackish water fish. He attached a picture. It was Neon Tetras. One of the most common fish in the hobby! Mind you, he had already bought them and put them in his tank. COME ON PEOPLE! Here we have the Internet with information resources never known until now in human history, yet we have people who are just to lazy to use it???? Have they not been taught to research things in school??
I would like to ask all you more experienced aquarists out there to help these people tactfully, but try and guide them to the benefits of doing their own research for the benefit of their fish and the hobby in general. Thank You, Old Scales.

Yeah thats always a tough one because "nobody likes a know it all". I try to only offer information if they ask and ill usually like show a picture of my tank or my bettas 5 gallon planted, heated, filtered home and kinda just casually mention how I do water changes. .... etc.

Kinda like this. ..
Friend says "oh you like fish? I have fish too, check out my betta in this bowl "....

I say "oh neat, check out my tank and here's my bettas 5 gallon tank. He really likes my gentle filter and I keep my heater set at 80 because hes so mich more active than when I had it set at 76. And he really seems to perk up after a weekly water change".

Open conversation they are like "I didn't know they need all that..." and then im like "well they can survive in a bowl but you could survive in a port a potty too..."

+1 to this.

I'm having that problem now, just joined a Facebook page and I keep seeing all these tanks with bad stocking lists and people having problems and its like 'for the love of god, you have the web, you have forums, articles.... Is it too hard to wiggle your fingers on the keyboard to type something into to google for crying out loud!?!?'

I try to maintain calm but sometimes it's a little hard :(

I love helping people with what knowledge I have (no expert for sure). But some things are just so basic and so easy to look up yourself.

Water changes, testing etc .
To me this is the best part. I love testing, maintenance, aquascaping, its relaxing to do a water change... a stress reliever to focus on tank maintenance.

I love helping people with what knowledge I have (no expert for sure). But some things are just so basic and so easy to look up yourself.

A lot of times if you just type the question in google the answer will pop up on some linked forum but people dont want to take time to read other discussions. If I ask a question here its always after extensive googling...lol

This Conversation.
Sister "Put a Nemo in your tank"
Me "I can't they'"
Sister "Go oooonn, you need a Nemo"
Me "They need saltwater tanks"
Sister "Well add salt and use one of your empty tanks. I'll buy you a Nemo"
Me "It's not that simple, you can't just add salt and have a healthy saltwater tank and they're called Clownfish"
Sister "NO. They're Nemos and you have to get one"

Summarized without the interruptions insisting i need a Nemo
Me. "I need live rock, protein skimmer New tank for sump, drill holes in a current tank for overflow and return system. Very expensive."

Sister "Yeah but you should still get a Nemo"

Cleaning out canister filters while trying to avoid killing shrimp that somehow worked their way inside. Currently my #1 biggest pet peeve.

Back
Top Bottom