Most annoying things in fish keeping!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Trying to catch a holding female almost every week in your overally rocky cichlid tank..! that actually takes alot of time, probably more than maintenance. Well its definitely more frustrating!

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That all my good ideas die in sub-committee -- second tank (no), pond (talk to us next year), a winch on the ceiling to lift the hood off (ok, I was just floating that one) and on it goes ...

Comets digging up plants. Had about 100 plants in sand, now down to about 11 and 89 floaters probably some juvenile crypts buried under sand too. Have to pond the comets soon.

That all my good ideas die in sub-committee -- second tank (no), pond (talk to us next year), a winch on the ceiling to lift the hood off (ok, I was just floating that one) and on it goes ...

You need to cater to the wants of the sub committee. "Oh look at that nice (what they want) we could take that home if we had a large glass tank in the car to keep it safe. Without the tank it would probably roll around and break." (y)

I was sooo close to a second tank - we were just working out size when it has been one thing after another in the first tank. I should just got it and explained later...

When fish wedge them between the decor and kill themselves overnight. (lost a Large Angel to the glass and a coconut and a tetra between two plastic plant leaves of all places! Gah.)

Also ich. It's so common and so darn stubborn!

When my knife fish gets mad at me and rearranges the entire tank! He's such a jerk some days.

Also what annoys me is seeing all these great planted tank yet I get limited things that grows in my tank. So far anubis is my fav. Everything else kinda melted away

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Algae. I spend way more time cleaning algae off my rocks and glass than doing anything else

No. Anubias and Java ferns only need lowlight but will also grow in medium or high light. They grow very slowly and if you have more than just a couple of fish in the tank they will get enough nitrates and enough phosphates from the fish food. However, as with all plants, adding extra nutrients and some form of extra carbon will cause them to thrive even better. But it is not necessary for them to look nice. OS.

Does anubis need high light or co2?

Old Scalez said it. They are super easy. I have one that I bought at petsmart about 1 1/2 ago in those little tubes and now the rizome is alittle over 6" and has flowered. Great plants. I love anubis.

No. Anubias and Java ferns only need lowlight but will also grow in medium or high light. They grow very slowly and if you have more than just a couple of fish in the tank they will get enough nitrates and enough phosphates from the fish food. However, as with all plants, adding extra nutrients and some form of extra carbon will cause them to thrive even better. But it is not necessary for them to look nice. OS.

Thanks OS, may get some at the ol' freds fish center (best FW lfs in the world!!!) may tank pics next time i go. Thanks anyway. -fibsog

Old Scalez said it. They are super easy. I have one that I bought at petsmart about 1 1/2 ago in those little tubes and now the rizome is alittle over 6" and has flowered. Great plants. I love anubis.

Great to know, those plant tubes are one of my favorite things at my petco.

Great to know, those plant tubes are one of my favorite things at my petco.

Be careful though what you buy in those tubes. Ive found that just cause they sell them as aquarim plants some of them are not fully submersible. Do some reserach before you buy.

Thanks OS, may get some at the ol' freds fish center (best FW lfs in the world!!!) may tank pics next time i go. Thanks anyway. -fibsog

Freds may be good but are they generous? My LFS has offered me a 20g they were maintaining at a local pub. I have to take the assorted goldfish that are in the tank but :dance: Free 20g with lights, filtration and a stand :brows: I like freebies :lol:

Anubias can give you a good display of green roots if you tie it to something above the substrate. It will eventually grip driftwood or rocks with the roots and rhizome and cover them like vines.

Back
Top Bottom