Most difficult fish to catch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bettaowner

Aquarium Advice Addict
His has happened to us all before. What was the hardest fish to catch. How long did it take and how did you catch it. For me it was a horse face loach, it took 6 months and I had to do a 100% water change to catch it.

Penguin tetra, he was super fast. Same thing, had to wait to get him when I emptied my tank to switch to sand.

My jack dempsey when i was taking my 55 down. About 4" and all i had was a 5" net. I was swearing at that thing till i caught it. Took me bout 20min.

I work at a fish store and the most difficult fish to catch there was a polka dot loach. It took 15 minutes and the bugger kept swimming to the opposite side of the tank

My puffers give me the most problems. I can't simply net them because it is a bit dangerous to take them out of water (they can inflate with air, which is bad) and they have teeth and will bite hands in the tank. I will chase one and the other will try and bite. So I have to carefully chase them around with a cup. I have only had to take them out three times, thankfully. When I switched their old tank from gravel to sand, when I upgraded their tank, and when I moved. And I'm about to have to do it again bc I am moving. Took me about 10-15 minutes each. And I have been bitten a couple times.

My puffers give me the most problems. I can't simply net them because it is a bit dangerous to take them out of water (they can inflate with air, which is bad) and they have teeth and will bite hands in the tank. I will chase one and the other will try and bite. So I have to carefully chase them around with a cup. I have only had to take them out three times, thankfully. When I switched their old tank from gravel to sand, when I upgraded their tank, and when I moved. And I'm about to have to do it again bc I am moving. Took me about 10-15 minutes each. And I have been bitten a couple times.

What kind of puffers were they ?

Shrimp of any kind. They are on the glass one minute, you get the net in position, then BOOM! They are across the tank in a split second. I had to completely drain my 10 gallon to catch my blueberry shrimp.

My 10" common when I rehomed him. You can't really use a net on plecos because they will get stuck, so I had to use my hands. Took about an hour and had cuts on my hands from his thrashing.

Here's a tip for the future ( and I've even used it in the open ocean) use TWO nets. One larger net is the catching net and one smaller one is the "chase" net to gently guide the fish into the catch net. . This works with open tanks as well as heavily decorated tanks. This obviously does not work with huge Plecos. lol There you need a good grip and thick skin on your hands. ( I still have scars :D )

Hope this helps

Here's a tip for the future ( and I've even used it in the open ocean) use TWO nets. One larger net is the catching net and one smaller one is the "chase" net to gently guide the fish into the catch net. . This works with open tanks as well as heavily decorated tanks. This obviously does not work with huge Plecos. lol There you need a good grip and thick skin on your hands. ( I still have scars :D )

Hope this helps

good idea with the nets. With spiny fish(cats,plecos ect) I've found that a clean, large plastic cup that you get at a gas station works good.

good idea with the nets. With spiny fish(cats,plecos ect) I've found that a clean, large plastic cup that you get at a gas station works good.

Great idea (y)
They used to even make nets for catching catfish. Very tightly woven material and not deep at all. ( Not your every day net for sure.) Back in my day, the gas stations were giving away glass cups so we never used them for fish. lol

Spotted pictus catfish. Those things move like lightning!!! They swim out of the net at the last secound!!

I had to transfer some Pictus cats once and it was like catching a porcupine. If I scared it, the fish got stuck in the net

I had to transfer some Pictus cats once and it was like catching a porcupine. If I scared it, the fish got stuck in the net

It doesn't help that their dorsal spine gives you a pretty nasty sting. I learned that the hardest when I untangled one of mine from the net.

It doesn't help that their dorsal spine gives you a pretty nasty sting. I learned that the hardest when I untangled one of mine from the net.

Well I say it good for it when it comes to a natural defense system.

My black Kuhli loach.. I moved all my fish to temporary tanks while I got some new plants in the tank and moved things around. It took both me and my boyfriend 20 minutes to catch the little guy so we could stick him back in the tank.

I feel your pain. I had a black loach that jumped into my 29. It took me 3 months to catch that guy

Back
Top Bottom