Moving

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mfdrookie516

Aquarium Free - 2+ Years
Ugh, I'm moving tomorrow. I've been looking forward to this day for a while now. I will no longer live in an apartment with people above me playing insanely loud music, and they have to weigh every bit of 500lbs each because I hear them every single night walking back and forth (and i dont think they sleep either). The new house is great, it is only about 10 years old and will be much more energy efficient than the apartment we're currently at (average house around here has an electric bill of ~$100 in the winter. Mine was $200+).

The down side to all of this is

1- I have to finish packing everything tonight. My dad is coming over at 9 in the morning to help me move. He's not a very patient man, and already hates the idea of waiting on me to drain my 150g and move it.

2- I have to move all 3 tanks (yes, i said 3. unfortunately, the sw tank is not going with me :()

3- My wife is out of town this weekend. Its actually a good thing, but its making things harder for me. She's been so stressed with the moving stuff, she really needed a break. And it's also good that my 6 month old son wont be here. I'd be scared to death of hitting him with something while moving everything.

4- I have to unpack everything tomorrow. My wife will be back sunday evening, and I really want to surprise her by having the house in "living condition" by the time she gets back. If it wasnt mothers day, I dont think I would even mess with it.

Anybody else hate moving?

I've only moved twice in my life but it is the worst thing I've ever had to do. emotionally, mentally, and physically draining. I've never had to move an aquarium, fortunately. I can imagine how much harder it makes everything though. I'll have my turn with that next year. I was lucky when we moved in here, I was 8+ months pregnant so besides packing boxes I pretty much just got to stand by. oh, and I also helped paint and clean the place first (don't worry, it was well ventilated and my daughter came out fine!) I'm sure you will have more work but it will most likely be much less stressful without your little one around for various reasons. what a great husband you must be to take care of everything for your family. I wish you the best of luck!

i think moving others is worse..... i have yet to forgive my sis last time i agreed to move her lol next time she is being sent away.

UGH! I hate moving the thought of it gives me stress, the packing and unpacking, and there is always that one piece of furniture that won't fit through the door! And that bag of bolts,fasteners ect. someone stuck "in a safe place" so you wouldn't loose them that you never find again. Good luck rookie keep your cool!

Dude, I hate moving. All I can offer are my best wishes for your good fortune. lol

Just think of how much better the house will be!!! I get to pack up a U-Haul in August and move across the state...should be alot of fun! I actually enjoy moving though. ;) I have moved so many times, I just started leaving the things I didn't need in boxes. :)

We'll, i'm trying to sell our two couches on craigslist, if they dont sell, im taking a chainsaw to them to get them out of here. we fought with them for hours trying to get them through the door. we bought a new sectional for the new house. funny part is, our new house is about 5 miles from where we are now, but it might as well be 100 miles. I tried inviting some guys from work for a 'cookout', but i made the mistake of mentioning moving a few weeks ago, and they caught on :(

Sounds like you need some new friends! :(
LOL @ the chainsaw! I know how you feel, we had to take the screen door and door off with our old couch that weighed about 3,000 lbs. Got rid of that one and got some WAYYY lighter ones! :)

Heck, I wish you were closer. I love cookouts... err nevermind. lol

Don't go with the chainsaw. It makes a terrible mess. Trust me. ;)

ok, got moved... well, almost. Got the big stuff moved at least. I cannot believe how much stuff we have/had that wasnt trash until i decided it wasnt worth taking to the new place

well, it went... I moved the planted betta/platy fry tank by just removing most of the plants and draining it down to about 2". The 150g wasnt quite as easy. It took five 5g buckets for the rocks and sand, and another 5g bucket for the fish. I pulled a muscle in my back while lifting one of the buckets of wet sand, so moving the tank was a big job, and a big pain. Overall, it went well. Trying to move in one day with minimal packing before is not a good idea. I had to have the uhaul back by 7pm, couldnt pick it up until 9am. We had to move everything that wouldnt fit in my nitro, unload it, then go pick up our new sectional before 5:00. We ended up getting there at 4:45 and barely made the 7:00 deadline for returning the uhaul. Oh, did i mention that while filling up the tank at the same time as unloading everything, I forgot about it and ended up overfilling it? That part sucked. I just hope my fish make it through this. They all seem very active, and i took every precaution to prevent going through another cycle. Next move I plan on buying a new tank, having it cycled and ready for fish, then moving my 150g and setting it up later. I'm probably going to be out of commission for a few days with my back, but I'm just glad to have it done and over with

Well I'm sure we're all glad that your fish (and you) seem to be doing well. Moving a fish tank is NOT fun.

I've read the best way to move a tank is exactly how you said. You set up another (possibly smaller) tank before you move, then just move your fish one day, then you can worry about setting up your tank the way you want it once you get everything else in.

I had to move my two tiny tanks the other day about an hour away, and it was a PITA. I was SO worried the entire time about the fish. Not so much about the betta, they seem to live through anything. Plus I didn't take him out of his tank, since it was only 5 gallons, I just drained half of it, and it was light enough to carry. And the tank's made out of acrylic so it wouldn't break easily.

The real pain was getting everything set up quick enough to the fish didn't have to stay in the bucket very long.

I saved all my betta cups, and I have been getting my aunts GIANT plastic ice cream containers for my move.
I feel for ya Rookie! I sprained my back lifting my snow tires this winter and had to go to PT. The best thing they taught me was first thing in the morning and before you go to bed, lay on your stomach on the floor, relax for 2 minutes, then lift yourself up onto your elbows keeping your hips on the floor, (if you can get up on your palms do that), hold for 10 seconds. Go back down for 2 seconds, then back up for 10. Do that 3 times twice a day. Also, try to use a lumbar support when you are sitting, roll up a towel if you need to. :) Ok, Doctor Darby is done LOL. Heal quickly! I know how bad it hurts!

The best thing they taught me was first thing in the morning and before you go to bed, lay on your stomach on the floor, relax for 2 minutes, then lift yourself up onto your elbows keeping your hips on the floor, (if you can get up on your palms do that), hold for 10 seconds. Go back down for 2 seconds, then back up for 10. Do that 3 times twice a day.

That's a yoga position I think. (Thanks Wii Fit) I don't know what it's called though. Anyway, when I moved my tanks I bought a few 5 gallon buckets from home depot. Worked out really well.

Back
Top Bottom