Originally Posted by Slade
Plan, plan, plan. Get your fish into Tupperware containers in your old place with whatever water you want to keep. Then empty your tank, move it and set it up at your new place. Now transport the fish to their waiting home.
This is definitely the way to go.
1) Drain as much as possible out of the tank (don't forget to fill the 5 gallon buckets with this water to put the fish in)
2) Take the fish out when water level is 50%ish then finish draining to 10-15% would be my guess. It will be heavy if you leave anywhere near 25%
3) Move tank to new place along with fish
- Heat car up in advance and heat new place in advance
4) Setup tank first thing and be sure to use water heated to the same temp they came out of (or close to)
5) Put fish in
6) Live happily ever after