Moving Dilemma

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FMJnaX

Aquarium Advice FINatic
As some of you may know, I'm moving from Albuquerque, NM to Dallas (The Colony), TX in just 2 weeks. I'm really worried about the move, both on the human side and on the fish side. As each day passes, I think more and more about contact the LFS where all 3 of my fish were purchased and asking if they will take them in (no store credit or anything... just take them). Well, today I finally sent them an e-mail (too scared to call. lol) and I'm awaiting a reply. I'm starting to get a sick feeling like I'm doing something wrong. We all love the fish, especially my 3 year old daughter (she's named them) and 1 year old son. I just really feel that this is the best solution. I fear that they will not make the move, and if they do, they will not make it through another cycle. They will be out of the tank for at least 4 days and I do not have anything smaller than my 29 gallon that I can use as a temp home, aside from ~1 gallon cooler that they were arranged to move it.

I'm not sure what I'm asking or saying here, but I just feel like I needed to make the post. I don't want to give my fish up, but I want what is best for them. I know I'm probably over-worrying and they'll be fine, but I don't want to take that chance. I'm also worried that the LFS won't take the fish back, especially my Ryukin because he's missing an eye. I know my daughter will be sad to see them go to a new home, but I know that she would be devasted even more to see them dead.

Has anyone else been in this situation or have any advise, comments, etc? I would love to hear about it.... help reduce my stress!!!!

Thanks all!

What about getting one or two of those big rubbermaid tubs and using that with a battery powered airstone to keep the water oxygenated? I would say goldfish are much easier to move because they are cooler water fish and you won't have to keep the water up as high as you would with tropicals. The pleco will be fine too. Also, if you just keep your substrate and filter wet for the move then you won't need to have a full cycle of the tank again. I've cycled with fish before and never lost a single one. All it requires is a lot of water changes to keep ammonia down. It takes a little longer in some cases (my longest was 2 weeks) but the fish never showed signes of stress. Also, if you can do a little research in the area you are moving to. If you can find a good LFS then you can call them now and ask if they'd be willing to sell/give you some of their filter media so you can seed your tanks with more beneficial bacteria. HTH!!!

Hey there! You will be living about 20min from me. I can tell you about some amazing fishstores in the area.

I think its completly possible to keep your fish alive while moving. It just takes a lot of preparing and planning... and then problem solving when the time comes. But rubysoho gave some great advice.

Heck, Ask Menegerie about her move! She kept almost all of her fish alive for... golly, how long was it?

I like the idea of the big tubs and I may try that. I'm sure that my goldies will be fine just because of their nature. I was more or less worried about the pleco. The real problem, however, is with my daughter. If I keep 1, I have to keep them all. I just don't think she would really understand, and that's what scares me. I've never seen a kid more attached to any pet than my daughter is with these fish.

I never thought about keeping some gravel and filter carts in the water during the move either. That would really make life easier for the first few weeks. I was really stressing a cycle because I have 2 messy goldish and 1 very messy pleco poop factory. Another worry, however, is that I won't be able to do PWC's during a cycle like I should. My new job will be very time consuming (10+ hours a day) and isn't really too close to home (in Richardson, a good 20 miles away).

Like I said though, I've probably got more worries than needs be and I'll probably end up with an ulcer or something here in a week. lol.

Thanks for the encouragment! It is REALLY appreciated.

Ah, I didn't know it was only three fish! You can *definatly* do it!

Depending on how much gravel you have, if you put it all in a bucket, keep it moist, but all your decore in tank water filled bags (or in the bucket).. put a lid on it.. and that will definatly keep a major cycle from happening. You might not even have to worry about a cycle.

Some other ideas:
get jugs and fill them up with your tank water before you take apart the tank. Bring them with you and every day do a small water change out of the tub your fish are in, and add their old tank water.. mixed in with some new water. That will help keep them happy during the move

oh, one more thing to help! Really limit their food intake for a few days prior to the move, then don't feed over the course of the move. Maybe put some floating plants in the tub so they can nibble, but this will help keep ammonia at a minimum. The poop machine might need a bit of food each day, if they are anything like ottos. Maybe someone with a bit more knowledge on plecos could help there.

As for the water changes, if you keep the substrate and filter wet then you'll hardly need to worry about a cycle. And since liquidphyre knows of some great fish stores, you have a back up on getting filter media just in case something happens. With tank maintanace, maybe change 10-15% every other day for the first week, just to make sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom