Moving my 75gallon discus tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sudz

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi Guys... I just got into discus about 3 months ago, and sadly/awesomely, I just bought a house. it is about 30 minute drive from my current place.

What I am worried about is... How the heck to I transport a 75 gallon aquarium?

I got this tank after moving, so I haven't had to move it yet. In the past with my 44 gallon corner tank, I just drained the water until there was an inch or two left, Removed all the Big fish, carried the tank and stand with 2 friends, Put it into a minivan and then unload, fill up and complete, with minimal losses.

I don't think I'd get away with doing it with this 75 gallon, its on a cheap metal stand, and has 75 pounds of eco complete in it. Would the tank be strong enough to transport it with that much wet substrate, if I drain as much water as I can?

Second, I know how discus like their water quality, If I do have to remove all the substrate before moving, How do I put it back without stirring up all the poop/dissolved matter that I'm sure is in it?

Thanks.

Drain the water into a rubbermaid tub and put the fish in it and transport. As for the poop in the substrate idk what to say. Gravel vac?

You're going to have to tear it down IMO. That's what I'm planning on doing for my larger tanks when I move in two weeks. Don't want to risk the bottom seals giving way as you move it. Planning in getting a flat bed trailer to transport them on.
As for the mulm you'll just have to wait until its settled and you can vac some of it up. Do you have some big tubs? You could keep the fish in there with the filter while the tank settles overnight.

I agree with the others, the only tanks I moved with substrate in it was 10g's. Even then I just slid them onto a piece of plywood so it was always supported evenly on the bottom trim. I have 100+lbs of sand in my 75g, no way that bottom seal would hold it all. Even if it would, one pressure point on the bottom pane and get your mop and bucket out. ;)

If you aren't opposed to ditching your substrate, a wet/dry shop vac makes quick work of emptying it. You will probably go through a mini cycle if you swap it all though.

When I picked up my 75g on craigslist a guy got all the gravel out with one. Pretty slick trick and only took a couple minutes.

Other than that, good luck! It is never fun tearing a tank down. Just think, after you do it, you won't be moving for another 30 years. ;)

I wish it was 30 years. I've been renting, Just bought a house.

It's a starter house. Once a second kid is on the way, we'll probably be moving again. (Considering we're saving to get married, it'll be at least 5 years)

virtual-tour-77719-01-1334074940-enlarge.jpg

Its a "link" home, attached by the garage. There's a bit of a boom starting here, so I wanted to get into the market before the prices got too high. That, and I'm paying too much for rent. Owning (with all utilities, etc) is 200 bucks a month more expensive, but I build equity... so The plunge was made.

I tell you, nothing scarier (yet) than signing on for a house! I Imagine I'll think otherwise once we have a kid!

I hear you about the rent... that's why I made the plunge last August. No regrets here, the paperwork/closing is quite overwhelming to say the least. Luckily my agent was a close family friend so she dumbed it all down for me. :)

Congrats on the house, it looks nice and the 2 car garage is a perk! :) Good luck on the move!

OK, Keys in T-Minus 2 weeks. I'm doing daily gravel vacs to try and get the substrate cleaner.

My plants are taking a beating, I think lack of nitrate and being disturbed by the vac, algae is actually growing a bit faster. 20% water changes a day (b/c of the gravel vac)

My PH is 8.3, The tapwater at the new place is 8.2, however it tastes different to me. I know taste is subjective, but to my common sense (which can be flawed) a difference in taste might mean different dissolved solids, minerals, etc.

I'm guessing I should buy/bring a GH and KH tester.

I have now:

20 gallon Brute ( i figured I could re-use it if/when I get a saltwater tank)
6X 4 gallon buckets with lids
Battery powered bubbler
550va APC UPS to keep filter + 100 watt heater running for the 20 gallon Brute which will contain my discus, Filter, Heater

a few plants as well for cover.

I'll put water in buckets, and rinse the substrate litely in some tank water before bucketing it as well. In total, I'll have 8 gallons of Substrate, about 30 gallons of water/fish.

The rest is hope!

Sounds like a plan to me!

I'd be curious to see what you find out with the water. I would be a little worried too but the fish should adapt to it with time. I was lucky when I moved because we have the same water supplier.

The weird thing is, I'm 99% sure every place I've ever lived has had its water come from lake Ontario. (check map)

Attachments

• PH.jpg
    PH.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 54
Back
Top Bottom