Moving (rant)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TankGirl

Aquarium Advice Addict
My husband and I bought a house (actually close tomorrow) but it has been quite a ride getting there. Since I run a business at home as well as have little kids, we decided to try to buy a house, move out, fix this place up a bit and then sell it empty. The fact that we did not have to sell our house to close on a new house made our bid more attractive to the seller, so we chose a closing date a month later. Everything was peachy until standing water was discovered in the crawlspace, and the seller did not want to do anything about it. They were ready to put the house back on the market because we wanted a credit for the cost of trenching and sump installation. My husband is a construction administrator for an architechtural firm so he is a hard-core negotiator, and has plan B, C, D, E, etc. no matter what their response may be to our request(s). We were getting closer and closer to closing, so I felt like I should be packing, but I did not know if we had this house or not until 5 days before closing.

Finally my husband talked the realtor to kick in the cost of the sump work (he reminded her that since we were not working with a realtor the next buyer to come along might have a realtor to share the commission with) in exchange for giving her the contract on the sale of our current home. She promises to get $6K more for it than what we had hoped to sell it for, so that her commission will be covered on our end. She is certain she can do it, and I believe her, because she knows how to create some hype (we got our new house in a bidding war, so the house sold for more than asking). We have since gone 'round and 'round with the seller about accessing the property prior to closing and their desire that we switch the electricity over to our name prior to closing if we want prior access, though we just wanted to get a Polaroid of the kitchen cabinet so we can replace one so our refrigerator will fit. There is also the little issue of our next door neighbor's driveway that is actually over the property line onto our side, so we are negotiating with him about getting the same amount of land in our name in the back yard from his side. This is not all, but it gives you an idea of how touch and go things have been, up until the bitter end. Worth it? Yes! The house is perfect for us (husband can do the sump work, no problem) and was appraised $5K higher than what we are paying, so we go into it with equity, and it is in a great area, exactly where I want to be.

I am naming the house casa dell'affare duro, or house of the hard bargain. You should see my husband buy a car....six hours later the salesman emerges, little stars and birds twirling around his head, and a big grin on my husband's face. BTW, Rick has a dislocated elbow so I am packing our current house by myself! Then we have to deal with fixing up this house and getting it sold to look forward to. Two mortages, goody...

Thanks for taking the time to read this - after tomorrow I will probably not be able to check in for a week or two, but hope to have broadband when I do (YAY!).

Well TG, here's my list of lifes most stressful experiences.

1. Death of a loved one
2. Divorce
3. Buying/Selling a home and moving.

I had to get of my house 6 weeks before this one was ready. Everything in storage. Animals in kennels. Bouncing back and forth between hotels, family and friends :roll: . Consider yourself lucky you don't have that!!! *chuckle*

Buying/selling a home is definitely the most stressful thing we choose to do to ourselves. I am glad that we don't have someone moving in this house right behind us, so we have a bit of time to go back and get this and that, and have a yard sale, but I don't think I am going to be able to sell this one fast enough. In the long run, the best way to achieve personal wealth is real estate!

LOL It may be stressful, but it sounds like you have things well in hand. Good luck girl! Looking forward to when you're all settled and back on here :)

Why sell the house?

Why don't you lease/rent it to someone.

Charge them rent and let them pay utilities.

The rent could be easily higher than morgages, unless you have an outragous monthly payment plan.

That way you can cover your morgage, And once its all paid off, its nothing but profit.

Good advice, William. I am having an open house next week (we are moved, now I am surrounded by boxes, just in another location...) and if it does not sell quickly we will definitely consider that. I don't really want to manage a property but there are outfits here that do that for you, so my husband and I discussed it. There is a major shortage of houses on the market right now, so tons of hungry buyers, and I think we are going to get a great price for the house, and finally be shed of it.

I should be back on the board doin' my thing here in a few days - thanks guys!

Yes, I am very happy about how well the fish did. I am going to post about moving them, since it is a topic that comes up so often. If I can find my husband's camera I will post a pic of the 55 in its new location (how long before we quit asking each other where things are? :? ) Oh, yeah, BTW, I am NEVER moving again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom