My beagle might have prostate cancer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Poor pup!
It's one of the hardest decisions to make, but he shouldn't have to suffer if the final stages involve something along the lines of uremic poisoning, or his bladder bursting because he can't empty it. Sorry, I know I'm being a bit harsh in my description, but if you emphasize to hubby how bad he could get in terms of pain, convulsions, etc., he might come around...
My thoughts are with you...

In this case,
Die naturally = massive unneccesary suffering.

What kind of person would let their faithful buddy die like that?

Last fall I had to have my good buddy cat, Moe, put down. He had kidney disease, and was starting to suffer. I did what any sane pet owner would do, and sent him peacefully out of this world. It was hard as hell, but it was the right thing to do.

If you have to, wait till your husband goes to work, and do what you KNOW is right.

I share your pain talloulou. Two years ago, our Persian kitty "Sabrina" was diagnosed with cancer. It took a few days but I know we did the right thing. No animal should be made to suffer.

I'm so sorry talloulou. Its got to be tough. I hope your vet can at least lessen his pain.

Well after talking more with the vet my husband has come more to terms with the situation and agreed that there is no reason to let Snoop suffer. So Snoop has an appointment to walk through the pearly gates at apx 1:45 P.M.

Thank you for all your thoughts and prayers for my Snoop. He is very loved and we will miss him, his howling, and his pungent beagle smell.

Kudus to you all for caring.....I really appreciated it!

Having watched two close relatives waste away due to cancer, I have to say that letting nature take it's course is not going to be the more humane choice.

My grandfather waited on his death bed until I was able to travel to see him. He died about 13 hours later. He knew I was there, but was so doped up on morphine that it seemed like he was oblivious to the outside world...but I could see the recognition in his eyes.
It was horrible. I wish I had ditched work sooner so I could make the trip, and maybe have saved him another week of hell.

I have had dogs who were diabetic and needed daily insulin. That's fine, that's humane, as the dog still lived a healthy normal life up until the final couple of weeks, where she passed away without pain.

I would not put either of my dogs through prolong'd agony of cancer eating away at them. I would try to give them one good day before they got too sick, and then have them put down.
Don't take this the wrong way, but its selfish to make the animal wait for death. Selfish in that you love them too much to let go...a good kind of selfish that's able to misguide you into what you think is best.

Talloulou, I'm sorry for your lost. Time will help. Its hard I know! Been there done that and it was not fun. I was with my pet when she took her last breath and I still remember that day. It was awful for me but it was the best for her. :bawl:

You know sometimes we are more humane about our own animals/pets than we our about our own kind IMO.

Talloulou thanks for the kudos but you really didnt owe me any. My heat goes out to you and your family! :bawl:

I'm so sorry for what you are going through. Although it is very difficult you are making the humane decision. At least Snoop will have you there with him and know that you love him. That is the best gift you can give him. My heart goes out to you and your family. I had to put a beloved cat, Sabbath, down 2 years ago to cancer. I held him while he went to sleep. It was all I was able to do for him. I still miss him so much. You will never stop loving him but he will always live on in your hearts.

I am so sorry. We just lost are Bichon, Snapper last week. Fortunately, he died peacefully at home. He will be missed, and he will be in our hearts forever. You are making the right decision why should he suffer needlessly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom