Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-06-2004, 10:22 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via AIM to brndfrb
I think gravel would be your cheapest route. I mean were i am at you can get a ton of stone for 40 or 50 bucks.

Old 07-06-2004, 11:35 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Yahoo to shawmutt
I really need to do something cheap and easy...
Park at the bottom of the hill and walk up

Here's a site that may help, but no matter what you choose, you're talking big bucks for something that long.

~Mike Shaw
Shawmutt.com. Blogs and Pictures of the Massively Multiplayer Offline game, Real Life.
Old 07-07-2004, 12:30 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
that was a helpful link, thanks... It helped me to realize even more that I'll be doing everything myself. Most gravel type places charge less if they just dump it and run... and no, I'm not walking up that hill all the time... sure not going to make my wife or kids walk it either. It will do for now as is... there's so much rock there it's almost like a gravel driveway, gravel yard really. Lots and lots of work ahead of me. If I can find some sort of cheap materials to use I'll just do it a little at a time... I have a few dozen projects ahead of me, none of which I can afford right now...
Backyard Fellowship
Old 07-07-2004, 10:16 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Here are the pictures of the road at work. This road was put down in 1891 the same year that the plant was built. The Steel mill went into operation in 1892 and is still running to this day. Going through a major upgrade and was the "original" Inland Steel Company.

Anyway, enough of history. You can see that this road has held up very well for as long as it's been there. Heavy trucks drive on it daily.

125 Gal-35 Gal Wet/Dry-Tetra-Tec PF500 HOB Filter
(3) AuquaClear 301 Powerheads-600 GPH Circulating Pump
Automatic Tempature Controller
5-6 Inch Sand Bed-200+ lbs of LR
Old 07-08-2004, 02:02 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic
You might be surprised at how little gravel actually costs. I filled up the bed of my toyota and it only cost like 6 bucks! I'd think about getting the gravel hauled out to your place and have the drivers dump it slowly as they drive out from your house. Then rent a front-end loader for a day to spread it more evenly.
Good Luck!
75 gal
4x65w PC
AquaC Remora Pro
140#s Live Rock from LiveRocks.com
Frogspawn, Hammer, Zoos, Leather Frag, and Xenia and Green Star Polyp frags from fishfreek and Alarmguy66, Thanks!
Member of the Unofficial A-Team
Old 07-08-2004, 11:05 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic
This may be a dumb idea...but do you know anyone with a bulldozer (or backcoe? Just have them "skim" your yard onto the driveway area...then the gravel that WAS in your yard will now be in your driveway if you need more, just purchase the remainder. Then have the bulldozer spread the gravel around and run over it a fews times to pack it down. Then tape off your yard and spread grass seed.
Old 07-09-2004, 02:04 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict
Well I have yet to call around, nothing in the phone book anyway, as I have many more important things to be doing... but even at low prices the driveway is quite long... around 250 feet or more... and uphill... just about every project ahead of me is going to be tough but will be more than worth it in the end... As far as bulldozers go... they all cost money, and quite a bit. I've considered just sorting all the rocks out of the yard by hand but I doubt I'll actually do that. Some of the larger rocks I would like to use for some short stone walls. "tape off your yard..."? If you mean to keep people off it I don't have to worry about that... my plot is about 5 acres and the adjacent lots are about that size or bigger and it's a narrow dirt road with very little traffic... With all of the things I'll be working on I may not have a lawn for a year or two... we'll see though. I plan on giving buffalo grass a try...
As for the driveway, aside from all the possabilities so far another thing I have to think of is drainage as it is quite a hill. I need to make sure it's not all going to run off down the road and leave huge holes and crevices...
Backyard Fellowship
Old 07-09-2004, 02:37 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to XXFirefighter Send a message via Yahoo to XXFirefighter
medium to small gravel works. Step father has it on his farm in Pa. Same thing as you. Long uphill. Just dump and drive ALOT on it.
Old 07-09-2004, 03:18 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Regular
I don't know if it will work or not, but I thought I'd throw it in just for idea sake, it just might spur another idea. Loose gravel will just spread all over the place and it will take awhile to compact in and whatever doesn't get packed in will end up in your vehicle, house, shoes and even possibly end up even sleeping with you.
But what if you where to lightly gravel it, then have someone run a thin coat of tar over the gravel to help keep it in place. Over time the gravel should compact nicely without it ending up all over the place. I'd imagine it shouldn't run you too much extra for something like that.

I got the idea from the tar and gravel roofs. If anybody has ever replaced one of them then they would know that once you sweep off the loose gravel, your left with a fairly solid cover made of tar and gravel. It should hold up long enough till you could save funds for an upgraded driveway.
95% of fish mortality results from improper housing and nutrition.
Old 07-29-2004, 12:32 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict
One thing I was thinking about recently was how the driveway is setup now... not only does it go uphill, but it goes across the hill so it doesn't have to go straight up... Anyway, when the bulldozer guy cut across the hill he left a nice little trail of dirt on the side... well, try to look at it this way... as you're going up the driveway, on the right side the land continues uphill, on the left it goes downhill... but because he was just bulldozing there is sort of a dirt barrier on the left before it drops down... so my thoughts are when it rains, which it has several times since it's been done, the water can't run across the driveway, it is trapped and can only run down the driveway causing some serious erosion... I'm thinking I'll have to remove a bit of dirt to make things work a little better than that...

Backyard Fellowship
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com