Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-04-2004, 12:14 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

My Driveway: questions...

Anybody know much about driveways, especially an uphill driveway?
I'll try and post a picture at some point... It's quite a long uphill driveway and though I wont be doing anything to it immediately, I really need to be thinking of what to do with it. The bulldozer guy suggested getting gravel brought in... true it would help with drainage and such but between the time, effort, and most importantly money, it might not be such a good idea, to me at least... At first I was thinking of just leaving it grass but was mentioned to me, by several people, that when it rained it would turn to mud... makes sense... But I'm thinking if my tires are only so wide, why bother with such a wide driveway... I was thinking about bricks and other options that I could possibly use to make two lines up the hill a bit wider than the tires so I could still have grass in other places such as the middle of the driveway... That would save on time and money etc... I was just thinking a little while ago, just thinking because I really have no clue yet, that I could take cinder blocks, lay them up the hill, fill the holes half way with gravel and the rest up with cement/concrete... something like that. I don't think cinder blocks cost toooooo much and that work could be done really easily by myself... There's almost enough rock there already(naturally) that it's almost like a gravel drive, but not quite... I have a lot of work ahead of me and need to be thinking about some of it... anyone have any ideas or thoughts... I need to have something of a driveway because it's a hill but I really need to do something cheap and easy...

Old 07-04-2004, 12:27 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

That sounds like a lot of work! I currently have to park on the street. Sorry, I am not much help.

Old 07-04-2004, 12:31 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

The only kind of cinderblock that would work for this are the ones that are solid, about 2 1/2" thick. They would be like paving stones, but they are not cheap! If you got a good compacted sand bed for them they would work.

I also think for a driveway with a grade like that gravel would not be a good choice because it would tend to wash down and out into the street. The only thing I can think of would be to pave it, but that is not going to be cheap.

You can get paving stones and do the job yourself, but I would go to an online DIY forum (doityourself.com is a great one) and post about it there, to get good advice about the best way to do it right. I currently have a gravel drive and I really hate it - the bits of gravel are getting into the house in spite of my best efforts with bristly doormats, and I am very anxious to get it paved.

Or, you could just get a 4-wheel drive vehicle...
Old 07-04-2004, 12:33 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Gravel is the best course of action.

Blocks will deterate and crumble over time causing maintance problems, you definatly want something more than just grass as over a short period of time the grass will be killed from being driven over so much and you will end up with a dirt road and that will turn into mud and probably big ruts. The briks are ok of an idea but unless they are properly anchored they will proably come lose very quickly. If you lived in the north the freeze thaw process would do enough harm to make it a PITA.

a nice small gravel will go a long way expecailly if you can have it rolled when its put in place. Put some water breaks a few points aswell. This is where you cut a small diagonal in the road way so water is taken off to the side. THink of it as like a gutter for the drive.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
Old 07-04-2004, 01:15 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfreek
Gravel is the best course of action.

Blocks will deterate and crumble over time causing maintance problems, you definatly want something more than just grass as over a short period of time the grass will be killed from being driven over so much and you will end up with a dirt road and that will turn into mud and probably big ruts. The briks are ok of an idea but unless they are properly anchored they will proably come lose very quickly. If you lived in the north the freeze thaw process would do enough harm to make it a PITA.

a nice small gravel will go a long way expecailly if you can have it rolled when its put in place. Put some water breaks a few points aswell. This is where you cut a small diagonal in the road way so water is taken off to the side. THink of it as like a gutter for the drive.
True, bricks deterioate over time.

However, if its done right. Milli, nor Milli's children will really have to worry about that

The problem is, Doing it right. Which may be a long and irritable chore for a first timer.

Brick is most likely the longest lasting and most durable drive way you can do, I know of brick roads around me, as well as driveways and parking lots, that have been in use for a, perhaps a century or more.

and their still there today, taking the punishment of modern lives heaviest vehicles and their still standing strong.

This situation is like anything else.

The cheapest method will cost more in the long run, and the most expensive will actually be cheaper in the long run.
Old 07-04-2004, 01:49 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks for the replies so far... keep em coming... I'm not even in the house yet but seriously need to think about this. We had some rather unusually large amounts of rain for this time of year and it wore away a tiny amount of the driveway but more so on the actual dirt road. There's so much rock there it's almost like gravel throughtout the yard... If I wanted to take a LOT of time I could just collect gravel from the yard and have more than enough for a driveway...
After doing some reading I'm thinking one of the more practical/cheaper/quicker ways might be to have some crushed rock dumped there. It will pack a lot nicer than regular gravel... My thoughts on brick or even concrete or something like that was that I might as well just do two strips up the hill... either brick or concrete... I'd make each track wider than a tire but why bother with the whole width of the car... then where the care doesn't actually come in contact with the ground I could still grow some good turf grass to minimize runoff... I've been doing some reading on buffalo grass and I think that at least some parts of the yard this would be a good choice... at any rate, between time and money, if I did use concrete or brick I wouldn't make the normal width driveway but if I went with the crushed rock they would just dump it and I would probably spread it myself to save money... money is a HUGE issue... unless people want to donate to the "millipede's new house fund"...
I may try calling around to find some prices on crushed rock... either that or get myself a screen and start collecting all the rock in the yard... no exaggeration there is more than enough laying around already
Old 07-06-2004, 12:44 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

feel free to post any other thoughts anyone has... it will be a while before I do much for the driveway, but not too long I guess... If we get many more rains like we did this past weekend it could cause serious problems in the future
Old 07-06-2004, 08:21 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Bricks are cheap...yes...but you need to build a good sub base for them to last. That's where it gets pricy. And it takes forever to compact a large area.

You should call around about gravel prices...you could probably get a decent deal somewhere if they are just dumping it.

I recommend blacktop, but it's not the cheapest, concrete will be more expensive.
Old 07-06-2004, 06:53 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Where I work there is a road that was paved in bricks back in 1890, that road is still there and used heavily be semi trucks hauling steel to and from our plant. I will post a picture of it soon, I have to bring my camera to work to do it.\

The road is getting beat up a bit now, but it stood for over a hundred years this way. If brick is done right it will last.

Mike
5-6 Inch Sand Bed-200+ lbs of LR
Old 07-06-2004, 11:10 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I measured the driveway the other day... it's about 250+ feet long, all uphill... At this point it will probably be a while, and I'm not sure I'd be able to afford anything, anytime soon... Who knows... Maybe I'll do a few feet at a time

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com